The Language Barrier

skinny

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:12 am
International trade, communication and tourism have increased the need to break down language barriers. The common language is no excuse in today's competitive, global marketplace for a US company to cut production costs by building a plant in Ireland instead of setting up shop in Eastern Europe where labor costs are much lower. It's time for governments, educators and the media to increase the exposure to and the acquisition of foreign languages. The world market is only truly accessible to those who can communicate successfully in the different languages of the world. So why is it that so many university graduates have not yet been given the language skills necessary to function in a global marketplace? The future of any given society depends on the education of its youth. We must insist that language skills be given the importance they deserve to avoid that our children become second class citizens.
Gordon
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,615 • Replies: 26
No top replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:53 am
Communication is vital, I agree, but I always thought that language was given importance, as much as it can be. At my school it was compulsory to study a language up until the age of sixteen, but after that, there is no way that anyone can be forced to take up a language. And anyway, some people just aren't good at it, and to push it onto people would be unfair, when there are so many ways to communicate with otherr languages and cultures, even if it means interpretation software or translators. I agree that being able to speak the language is better, but to many, it would be very very difficult, and I feel that skills in the chosen area of expertise are much more vital than pushing these asde to learn maybe 10 languages you may rarely need. There is also, always time to learn, when a person chooses to, and companies can offer these courses if they feel they are being held back by their staff's lack of language skills.
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:54 am
More exposure on a daily basis couldn't hurt though, I agree!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:39 am
Re: The Language Barrier
skinny wrote:
So why is it that so many university graduates have not yet been given the language skills necessary to function in a global marketplace? The future of any given society depends on the education of its youth. We must insist that language skills be given the importance they deserve to avoid that our children become second class citizens.
Gordon

Well, I don't know where you live, but in most European countries you learn at least two languages - in my state (Northrhine-Westphalia, Germany) from English from primary school onwards, at grammar a second foreign language is compulsary (with the possibilty to coose more).

Even my father, who left grammar school more than 60 years ago, learnt three foreign languages at school.
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:56 am
Ah, but we English have no need to learn foreign languages as every single person in the whole entire world, even penniless African peasants speak English fluently. Or so most people assume, even when this obviously isn't the case. We then proceed to complain that people don't speak our language well enough for us to understand.

I agree that it is important to learn other languages and am disgusted that it's no longer compulsary to study a language up to the age of 16. Still, means more jobs going for me when I leave university with a degree in German and Spanish!
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 03:33 am
Actually, that's a good point. I suppose it would be different if I spoke a language which was only spoken by very few people. I think it's easy to go anywhere and speak english, as you say, everyone speaks it practically!

I was thinknig of doing a degree in German. I got a buzz from the language when I was at school and picked it up very quickly. I might now, based on that!
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 09:54 am
Yeah. If, for example you were a Luxumbourger (hehe, makes me chuckle!) you'd speak Luxembourgish as your first language, but as only about 5 people live in Luxumbourg you'd then be fluent in either French, German or both. And maybe some Dutch.

If you enjoy and are good at German I'd say go for it! I love learning languages and chose to do my degree for precisely that reason. It does help that language graduates are in such high demand, no unemployment for me! (touch wood)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:05 am
travelbug

If these five people can read - they certainly have to know German, since the Luxembourg newspapers are in German :wink:

(So, when you want to go to Luxembourg, carrie, and want to read local-national printed news, you really should go on learning German Laughing )
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
Ah, stuff the news! Who needs to know what's going on in the world.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:20 pm
YUP, In Europe you must know at least three languages, 4 the most in order to break the language barrier among EU member countries.
English is a MUST, especially in Germany and you can also learn an extra which often is Spanish.
In England, most people take Spanish since many Brits are migrating to Spain. Others learn Italian or Dutch.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:18 pm
Ton connaissance de la vie et du languages Européennes, Duc de Lancastre, est classe, je pense :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:02 am
Duke of Lancaster wrote:
YUP, In Europe you must know at least three languages, 4 the most in order to break the language barrier among EU member countries.
English is a MUST, especially in Germany and you can also learn an extra which often is Spanish.
In England, most people take Spanish since many Brits are migrating to Spain. Others learn Italian or Dutch.

No, I think French is still the main second language for English schools, although Spanish and german have become very popular over the past five or ten years.

Quite a few English people have moved to Spain, but far more go to France (Dordogne especially.....and now Britanny).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4363679.stm
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:03 pm
I speak 5 languages, my mother tongue, the 3 that were compulsory at school and another one that I studied later on. I can travel all over the world with no problems, even if I make mistakes.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:05 pm
I think that Spanish is very important to learn also.
Regards.
Xavier
0 Replies

Karotte

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 03:48 pm
i learned some sorbish at school, but i think i've forgotten all about it... Rolling Eyes
now i learn russian and english at school. i would like to learn polish because i like the sound of it. Razz
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ton connaissance de la vie et du languages Européennes, Duc de Lancastre, est classe, je pense :wink:

I'm sorry Walter, I don't speak French and never wanted to learn it.
The only word I know is "Oui." lol

I took Latin, which was required in my school, German and a yr. of Spanish.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
I believe he was showing appreciation of your "knowledge of life and European languages"... bar French, of course. :wink:
0 Replies

Youngbrain

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 05:25 am
What annoys me is Ginglish! That is the increasing use of English in the German language therefore diluting it. eg. gecancelled, stop and go (statt stockende verkehr) usw. There are so many of them mostly introduced through advertising that they become part of the language BUT they for some reason take on another meaning than the original English.
0 Replies

karanae84

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
Hmmm... that's an interesting phenomenon. Living in Germany, I've noticed the use of a lot of words like "upgeloaded" and "gedroppt".
I also wanted to mention that the languages I hear most often in Heidelberg (apart from German and English) are Turkish, Italian, and Asian language (Japanese, Mandarin, etc...)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 12:30 pm
You should go to some places, where the (real) local people go ... and than you can hear "Kurpfäzisch" as the predominant language Laughing
0 Replies