How do you measure success?

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:04 am
Some helpful ideas Husker but these give some components of success but still do not provide that elusive definition of what success is or what tells us we have it.

Is success as simple as being satisfied with what you have? Or would that just be somebody who is too lazy to seek success?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:14 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Some helpful ideas Husker but these give some components of success but still do not provide that elusive definition of what success is or what tells us we have it.

now we're getting down to some complexities of the developemt of self esteem, and how cultural expectations impact the idea of success.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 12:45 am
Not for me I think. 'Keeping up with the Joneses' maybe once would have sufficed, but no longer. And I think most people are uncomfortable with being perceived as more proficient, capable, successful or whatever than they know themselves to be so prestige can only go so far.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 09:27 pm
As a parent, success for me, would mean that
my kids find an occupation that makes them happy and wanting to go to work (not necessarily rich) .....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 10:24 pm
I think I share that sentiment shepaints, though the parent can take only so much credit for the successful choices of their children. We may benefit from a positive family influence and example, but we ultimately make our own choices.

I know a family in Kansas who are salt of the earth and raised three apparently successful chldren. The fourth was a mess, in and out of Juvey hall as a kid, and then multiple arrests for years as an adult until he was finally gunned down in a shootout with police. So far as anyone knew he was of normal intelligence and ability. What made the difference between him and his siblings?

Likewise we all know people who came from abyssmal backgrounds and who turned out fine.
I think a parent can consider himself/herself successful by setting a good example, giving children a faith, love, encouragement, and reasonable discipline, teaching solid values, and having obtainable expectations. Was I a successful parent at all times in all those things? No. But there were some successes along the way.

For me I think success is doing something hard, mastering something difficult; accomplishing a goal. Each time I do that, I feel a rush of exhilaration and satisfaction.
0 Replies