On Islam, Democracy, Modernity, and Compatibility

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:05 am
Yep your right. It was a stupid post of mine before.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 02:10 am
australia wrote:
Yep your right. It was a stupid post of mine before.

Disagree.

In my opinion, you were frustrated with all the PC crap that passes for debate these days ... probably frustrated by those who toe that party line.

It wasn't stupid at all.

:wink:
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 04:28 am
Yes that is true. Most people on here are either totally to the left or totally to the right. Most people have strong opinions either way. I am flexible and am open to suggestions and compromise.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:00 am
australia wrote:
Yes that is true. Most people on here are either totally to the left or totally to the right. Most people have strong opinions either way. I am flexible and am open to suggestions and compromise.

That's the way most people are ... I guess it makes all the ambiguities in the world easier to take.

If one takes sides, makes certain they are immutable, and refuses to 'walk in someone else's shoes,' while certainly limiting, I can see how appealing that would be to a great many people. Why?

1. They have an immediate support group;
2. That group tells each other how "correct" each member is;
3. That reinforces a prejudiced, us vs. them, seige-type mentality;
4. This provides a deep identity;

All of which apparently provides the security blanket such people need. It helps them to know who is 'wrong' and who is 'right;' but, it keeps them from having to seriously consider anything that isn't already on the list of 'approved' or 'disapproved' thoughts and behaviors.

Actually, when I posted my topic about user groups in the help forum, what I ultimately had in mind was a new one for freer thinkers. However, I don't see that happening because the drive to be popular seems to be the greatest drive ... and I am not slamming A2K'ers here; this is just one more place where it seems true.

My own views don't fit into one little category and most certainly don't fit in with the old left/right paradigm (let alone liberal/conservative).

Oh, well: we could always form our own User Group. Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 06:04 am
I don't mind being called wrong if it is an intelligent argument but when people call me nazi and right wing it turns me right off. Everyone has a different view based on their own experiences. I was in the bali bombing and so have a slanted view against muslims. Probably not logical, but I guarantee that some people who preach tolerance and all these ideals would change their opinion if they were in a bombing or lost someone in a bombing.
0 Replies