U.S. Report Finds Iraq Was Minimal Weapons Threat in '03....

McGentrix

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
Every time I read one of your posts, Asherman, my respect just grows. You say what I want to say in a much better way and with more style. Thank you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 11:48 am
Text of the CIA's report
For those of you who like to read the actual report rather than Media filtered information, the following CIA site will be useful:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/index.html
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
Did sound a little hysterical, but the facts in Rumsfeld v Padilla are clear....

Quote:
Padilla was a US citizen. He was brought to New York in federal criminal custody. Federal agents had apprehended him while executing a material witness warrant issued by the District Court for the Southern District of New York ('the NY Court') in connection with its grand jury investigation into the al Qaeda terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001. He moved to vacate the warrant. While Padilla's motion to vacate was pending in the NY Court, the President issued an order to Secretary of Defence Rumsfeld designating Padilla an enemy combatant, and directing that he be detained in military custody. He was therefore moved to a Navy brig in Charleston SC.

The Supreme Court held that the NY Court lacked jurisdiction. The reason was, so the Court held, that the only proper respondent to the habeas petition was Commander Marr [ie the Navy], and the NY Court lacked jurisdiction over her.

The common law right of habeas corpus has existed since the Magna Charter. I am unable to see how the 'crisis' that the present govts of the UK and the US have engineered means that we all surrender this right. The rule of law, Asherman, rule of law is more important than any Texan half-wit's lust for a second term.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 08:05 pm
Padilla hasn't been denied Habeas Corpus, it just hasn't been properly served. Thomas Jefferson's direction that Aaron Burr be arrested and held without bail or hearing was a much less legal than the Padilla affair. Padilla left the United States to train with enemies in arms against the country, and then returned as part of a conspiracy to commit an act, or acts of terror utilizing a radiologic device. He will get his day in court, though as an enemy combatant it probably should be a military tribunal. Unfortunately, even if found guilty Mr. Padilla will not be sentence to be shot, or hung.

You might not like or agree with the way that Mr. Padilla's case has been handled, but that doesn't make it a violation of law.

You seem to believe that the United States and Britain "engineered" the present crisis for the political gain of their Chief Executives. Where do you suppose this nefarious conspiracy began? With the CIA crashing aircraft into the World Trade Center and the pentagon? Is Bin Ladin a secret agent of George Bush? How is it that a "half-wit Texan" can be so clever? Since you apparently have uncovered really persuasive evidence of this subversion, aren't you afraid that you might "disappear" before morning?

The fact of the matter is that the administration is pursuing policies that you personally don't agree with. It doesn't appear to matter that something on the order of half the American people do agree with the President's policies, and believe that he's doing about as well as any reasonable person could be expected to do in similar circumstances.

In a few weeks you will get your chance to vote the President out of office.
I suspect that you will be disappointed, and that Mr. Bush will be elected to serve four more years as our President. In our system of representative government, the majority of voters decide who the country will follow. If Kerry is elected he will have my full support, even if he adopts policies I personally believe wrong-headed and dangerous to the nation. You see, I still believe in the Constitution and the Rule of Law. How about you?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 06:44 pm
"U.S. Report Finds Iraq Was Minimal Weapons Threat in '03...."

But it's not anymore now, apparently ...

Quote:
Tempering the Sadr cease-fire news, the LAT runs a front-pager on the increasingly sophisticated efforts by some Iraqi extremist groups to produce chemical and biological weapons. This is according to a "little-noticed" section of the now-famous Duelfer Report (see Slate's coverage), which states that "the risk of a 'devastating' attack [on U.S. troops] with unconventional weapons has grown since the U.S.-led invasion and occupation of Iraq last year."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:58 pm
Guess that means they'll have to be nuked, eh?

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.
I dunno why she swallowed that fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly -
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd, to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly -
Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat.
Imagine that, she swallowed a cat.
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ...
But I dunno why she swallowed that fly
Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a dog.
What a hog! To swallow a dog!
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat.
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a goat.
Just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog ...
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat.
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse -
She's dead, of course.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/115/8995635/1075239911023_1078127795714_FlyLady.jpg
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 08:42 pm
Quote:
Is Bin Ladin a secret agent of George Bush? How is it that a "half-wit Texan" can be so clever?

I think it might just be the other way around.

Osama bin Laden (from the Saudi bin Ladens family, just ONE of the consortium that employs the Bush family of Crawford, TX as consultants/trouble-shooters/paid mouthpieces) is still free 3 YEARS after the 9/11 hijackings!! 3 years! Adolph Hitler didn't have three years after the Normandy landing, but one man complete with his private terrorist army does. Not only that, in the last SOTU address I understand that Dubya didn't even mention Osama aka The Evil One. What gives?

And who exactly DID the 'War President' go for? The armed SAUDI terrorist or the source of black-market oil that upset the Saudis so much? No brainer there. Saddam got it in the neck, Osama got away scot-free. Money well spent if you ask me.

All conjecture I know, but it's hard to ramp up the constant fear of terrorist attacks on middle America if you have captured their front-man. People might forget about the fear at that point and start asking some questions about the legalities of the 'War on Terror'.
0 Replies