Water timers precaution

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 12:22 pm
L to Ed., Victorville Ca Daily Press

Noting prediction Nov. 1 in “Study blames…high temperatures,” that “…years like this may become commonplace…,” and noting coming lows at Sports Page, still I’m remembering my Letter of some time ago suggesting wrapping your timers for the winter.

I had supposed many of us, esp with large properties, might have reacted to the drought requirement of nighttime watering—that might otherwise need us to get up in the middle of the night--by acquiring battery timers. However, here in the winter where freezing occurs around midnight, we might still have to repeatedly arise to set, check, or disconnect ‘em. This is complicated by the requirement to water only on certain “days” of the week, to which the typical timer isn’t programmed.

So, furious at Authority for these incredible rulings of official-dumb, I had suggested in my Letter instead using fiberglass insulation wrap. So the prediction can only encourage those of us willing to adopt my expedient. Any additional ideas welcomed.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 968 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 07:55 pm
@dalehileman,
Our area have saved water consumption by 27%, and the water district thanks us by tv ads. Many of our lawns are brown, but I still see green lawns in our neighborhood. Apple has their Campus 2 a few blocks from where we live, and they have green lawns and have planted new vegetation around their new campus.
The Vallco Shopping Center is building a roof garden that's going to be covered with grass and vegetation. It's a bit confusing to those of us who have sacrificed our green lawns while others continue to use water in the old fashion way.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2016 10:31 pm
@dalehileman,
The night time stuff is meant as a help when temperatures are blazing. I know this since I designed a lot of irrigation in your area and others, via our firm -- aside from the boss, I was the main irrigation designer and garden designer at that time, for a national major building firm. I'm not particularly proud of that now, re the patterns of building tracts in the desert.

If you want to make a pimple out of it now to your newspaper, about waiting until midnight (where the hell did you get that idea?), consider that it gets dark earlier than midnight and stays so for some long hours. The whole point of that was not wasting water in fiery sunshine.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 12:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
covered with grass...a bit confusing
Wow Cis you can say that again; some of the pronouncements and their apparent exceptions leave us wondering....
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 12:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
The night time stuff is meant as a help when temperatures are blazing
Of course Oss but it requires many of us with lotsa timers on a big property to reset 'em if we prefer daytime sked in the winter, when it's easier to monitor their performance; so some of us to leave 'em be. That's when a little forgetfulness can result in busted timers

Quote:
... waiting until midnight (where the hell did you get that idea?)With a dozen stations we hafta spread the sked, so don't have two or three on at the same time
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 02:52 pm
@dalehileman,
I installed a water timer for our garden in the back yard, but turned it off when the water district asked us to cut our water consumption. I hand water once a week if it doesn't rain.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 05:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I used to hand-water when it could be done entirely in the daytime Cis but now hafta depend on them batt timers
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 06:23 pm
@dalehileman,
I've no idea of your property and why you might need to water it in winter. It's a desert..
Can you describe what you have going on it?

Never mind me, I'm long retired, but consider calling a local landscape architect out of the phone book, as they can advise you for just one consult.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 06:54 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I've no idea of your property
I understand

Quote:
and why... water it in winter...desert...... what you have going...?
We had acquired it w/abt 200 trees, of which only abt 75 left. Besides there's some shrubbery that would die if we didn't water in winter

Quote:
Never mind me, I'm long retired,
Us too, near 20 yrs

Quote:
but consider calling a local landscape architect ...just one consult.
Thanks Oss, will keep that sugg in mind
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2016 09:07 pm
@dalehileman,
Adds.. that's landscape architect, not landscape contractor, they are different (some of my best friends are l. contractors, but, still, they are different). A landscape architect consultation should be useful. If there isn't a local one, Cal State Pomona has a whole program re all this, and someone there can help.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2016 11:23 am
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks again Temp
0 Replies