Watering after rain

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 12:11 pm
Wondering how long to wait before resuming watering after a significant rain. Just arbitrarily I wait 1 day for each 0.1 in. but often wonder if I'm 'way off; that is, in my estimate not my grip on reality

Of course variables figure in such as vegetation, time of year and kind of soil but there nonetheless ought to be rough guidelines don't you suppose

When I broached this on a couple of gardening forums, surprisingly got no response whatever
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,374 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 01:16 pm
@dalehileman,
In summer veggie garden I always fertilize just after a rain because the ground is wet deeply. That way the fertilizers can sperad about and diffuse quickly. If its dry, I usually water deeply and then fertilize the next day with maybe half the concentration so I dont burn roots.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 02:49 pm
@farmerman,
Man you're obviously a lot more assiduous than I and thanks for that report. However my concern is not so much with garden as with trees, grass, and smaller shrubs, landscaping

In this connection I had always considered it advisable to fertilize before the rainy season rather than after each shower but then I'm lazy

Are you by chance a farmer
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:25 pm
@dalehileman,
yes I am. We raise sheep (for fun and profit) a few beef, many chickens (we really need the eggs) and other assorted critters. We grow alfalfa, soybean,s corn, triticale, and sudax.

Its always better to feed after rain than before because chemical fertilizers can burn the microbes and roots(unless you apply pre emergents with the planting)
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:43 pm
@farmerman,
Triticale and sudax? Is that a law firm?

Seriously, pls save me looking it up. What exactly are they?
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 10:04 pm
@Ragman,
TRITICALE-is a hybrid of wheat and rye (It gives a great grass feed, like orchard grass but tenderer for animals mouths and its loaded with protein in the grass (16% for grass is great). Remember tar Trek , when the EWNterprise was hauling a load of Quattro Triticale to The corners of the Federation? Same thing except that triticale is for real

SUDAX-is a hybrid grass (for stock feed) Its a hybrid of SUDAN GRASS and it doesnt give off Cyanide as quickly after a frost hits

These are all grasses, and we grow a couple of new hybrids of alfalfa that dont attract leaf hoppers
dalehileman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:32 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
…..We raise sheep…...a few beef, many chickens…..grow alfalfa, soybeans, corn, triticale, and sudax.
Thanks Farm, it's not everyday…..much less two. Do you raise the latter specifically as a means to poison cattle

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Sudax

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=sudax+poison&oq=sudax+poison&gs_l=serp.12...9306.12939.1.15342.12.12.0.0.0.0.170.1598.0j12.12.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.4ao9dtR_RVI&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=58929b6891e33653&bpcl=39967673&biw=1453&bih=911

Quote:
Its always better to feed after rain…...
Thanks again Farm for your reports even if OT. By the way might you have some insight into the q of the OP

But I see you're into grasses, a minor hobby of my own, raising some native Calif specie, always willing to chat, [email protected]
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:36 am
@farmerman,
Tnx for the info.

I swear I actually do recall Star Trek episode as the last time I had a vague recollection of hearing triticale. Who says TV is not educational!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:40 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Who says TV is not educational!
Tho somewhat OT Rag, I do, although there's scattered benefit at widely-spaced intervals
Ragman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:42 am
@dalehileman,
Some might perceive a grain of truth in that.
However, you have to separate the wheat from the chaff.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 11:45 am
@Ragman,
Rag you've made my entire day if not week. More whimsy is welcome in this otherwise insensate fulmination of procrustean though sometimes hortatory redoubt
0 Replies