I'm Curious. What would you do in this situation?

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:38 pm
We're experiencing tight water controls here in Melbourne, due to something like 5 years of drought & resulting low water catchments.
One of the restrictions is not using sprinkler systems to water gardens & lawns.
This morning I got up early to (hand) water the garden as an extremely hot day is predicted for today & the garden was very dry.
I was surprised to discover that my neighbours were using their sprinkler system to water their lawn. They stopped once they knew I was up & at it.

Here's my question:
What would you do in response to this situation?
We've been encouraged to report anyone who uses sprinkler systems during the period of restrictions. Would you do this?
Or would you speak to the neighbours yourself?
Or perhaps do nothing at all to avoid any problems with the neighbours?

I suspect that I won't do anything unless this becomes a regular thing. But I'd be curious to know what you'd do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,410 • Replies: 36
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:44 pm
I'd probably wait to see if it happens again. Then speak to them, casually and see if they'll stop. I doubt I'd report it.

When I was a kid we had water restrictions as well. Not everyone will comply, unfortunately.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:48 pm
Yes, I know, littlek. It's the ones that use it to wash their cars that really drive me nuts! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:50 pm
I wouldn't report it. I might give them a dirty look, though! The fact that they turned the sprinklers off when they saw you shows that they were very aware that what they were doing was wrong.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:52 pm
washing cars! Oy. We collected our shower water and used it to water the garden. The shower was upstairs, we hauled the stuff in a pasta pot to the back yard.

Yep, Phoenix, very aware.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 04:58 pm
Phoenix

They didn't actually SEE me, they heard me hosing. Luckily we have a very high dividing fence! Very Happy But the water situation is extremely serious right now & it looks like more drought this summer. It really disappoints me that people can be so selfish. In high summer you can tell who the "culprits" are: they're the ones with the green lawns! Everyone else just lets their lawns die, then recover in autumn & winter. No problems! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:02 pm
littlek, you're a woman of my own heart! Very Happy I can't see the urgency of having a spotless car at everyone else's expense, either. I just let my little car get dusty for a while, then take it to the car wash around the corner (which uses recycled water) when I can't stand it any more. Simple! Very Happy
It causes so much bad feeling when people see others disregarding the restrictions simply to wash the car, I can tell you! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:13 pm
BTW there's no way anyone could NOT be aware of the serious water restrictions. There's no way of avoiding knowing, there's been so much exposure of this in the press.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:31 pm
The tragedy of the commons is the process by which those things that are common use, like air and water, will be hogged by some to the point of ruin. The article I linked to was published the day I was born! I guess that's why this bit of philosophy is so close to my heart.....

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/onlcourse/chm110/outlines/commons.html
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 05:31 pm
msolga...Maybe your neighbors realize that you caught them but, if they do it again, I would report them. Really. It is totally inappropriate for some people to assume that they are above the law.
We had a very severe drought from about June, 2002, until November. Tight water restrictions such as yours. Rumors of closing the college for Christmas break a couple weeks early. Some of the fraternity boys offered to share their shower time with the sorority girls.
The "water police" had a hotline where abuses could be reported. My understanding was that they were very careful about not telling the culprit where the tip came from.
Good luck. 2003 has been the wettest year in history in Virginia, USA. We've still got a month to go and it is raining steadily tonight. -rjb-
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 06:36 pm
I would turn them in, no later than the second offence.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:12 pm
I think this situation can be handled in a proper manner. Do you own a chain saw?
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
Handle it
I'm normally opposed to calling authority figures to handle problems we can handle ourselves. My principle is that we can handle things on our own and don't need to be involving the police in everything. First of all, if they haven't been doing it for a long time or have only done it that one time, they haven't really hurt anything. Talk to them and let them know you are concerned about the water situation. You don't have to have an attitude about it either. Just say you saw them and wish they would quit. Tell them you understand, but everyone has to deal with the same problem. That'll help them get along with your conversation. They'll probably stop. If they keep doing it, you might have to call someone else to handle it. But, at least you can say you took the civil route first.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:36 pm
littlek

A good article! What a shame that, some people at least, have not changed since the date of your birth. Me, me, me! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:40 pm
roger wrote:
I would turn them in, no later than the second offence.

Hmmmm, I'll think about it, Roger.... There's a part of me that HATES the idea of being the neighbourhood policeman, though. I just wish they didn't do it again, that's all!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:43 pm
Yeah, realjohnboy, we have a "water police", too. I guess I hope that they'll desist from now on. <fingers crossed>
Sharing showers? Now that's a novel way of cutting water usage! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:47 pm
Michael A

Yes, I also hate the thought of calling in the authorities for these sorts of things. I'm hoping that they become more responsible about this & I won't even have to give them a friendly neighbourhood chat about restrictions they would be fully aware of.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 07:49 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I think this situation can be handled in a proper manner. Do you own a chain saw?

Laughing No.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:27 pm
Hum, being that its more than likely you and your neighbors are more than aquainted, it would make it hard to say anything to them. But somehow I would let it be known in a polite manner that I didnt appreciate it one bit. Here you are abiding by the water restrictions and they are abusing the supply that the area has, to save thier beloved grass.

Give them a talk....and a chance, then if that doesn't work, Make the call.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2003 08:30 pm
I'll think about it, makemeshiver .... Some unthreatening way to slip it into my next conversation with them. Hmmmmmmmmm Rolling Eyes
0 Replies