Next watering after rain

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:22 pm
Consensus has it you simply wait til surface vegetation wilts before resuming watering sched

https://www.google.ca/#q=equivalent+inches+of+rain+to+delay+until+next+watering

However the usual guideline might not apply to larger vegetation such as shrub or tree. Conceding many variables such as its size, the kind of soil, and time of year, the typical ignorant gardener (me) wonders whether there might be a rule of thumb equating, eg, inches of rainfall with days (weeks?) to next watering

Or can anyone recommend a site pertinent to the issue. Thanks all
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 03:27 pm
Here in England, I follow the gardener's rule that states watering should only be carried out on any and every second consecutive dry day between April and September.
Consequently, this year I watered the garden on May 15th, and July 3rd.

I also tried to water the garden on August 5th, but sudden rain forced a cancellation.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 04:12 pm
@dalehileman,
You concede that there are many variables such as the condition of your soil and the type of plants you have so I think knowing your own garden and using commonsense is probably the best rule of thumb.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 05:12 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Thanks Lust, indeed commonsense thinking for the gardener. The larger planting however isn't quite so clear. For instance after 0.1 in. would a medium-size tree be satisfied for a day or a week
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 12:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Okay then, if we don't have many participants watering the larger vegetation, many of us are apparent mathematicians

Quote:
One inch of water or rain is equivalent to 623 gallons per 1,000 square feet

http://www.lowes.com/cd_how+to+make+watering+easier_1311250380_

…..So the problem reduces itself to requirements of the deeper root, equivalence of its depth and horizontal reach
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 01:34 pm
@dalehileman,
Sorry, I can't think of watering in terms of inches (or centimetres here). Other than some flowers in planters I usually only need to water in the summer and then it could be twice a day or every second day depending on the heat and what vege seedlings I've got in. I water by hand because that's part of the pleasure of gardening for me and my garden isn't that big. If I get it wrong it's because I sometimes don't have enough time to be paying attention properly. Good luck with your garden - I'd go insane if I didn't have mine to potter about in.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2013 02:39 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Quote:
Good luck with your garden - I'd go insane if I didn't have mine to potter about in
In my own case Curly, Mom takes care of the gardening while I look after the shrubbery and trees
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 12:26 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Quote:
….using commonsense is probably the best rule of thumb.
Lust, indubitably. However that's exactly what's lacking in my case (not lust but surety). As mine are Ariz cypress, resorting to Google

http://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_cuar.pdf

……which suggests 12 in. /year. Thus one might suppose a rainfall of 1 in will serve them for a month, at least in the winter. Still I'm wondering
dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2013 02:04 pm
@dalehileman,
Does nobody else have trees
0 Replies