Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:24 am
My husband and I are considering getting a puppy. Everyone says "You have to be home to let it out ever2 or 3 hours!" and this is just not possible. Ever. Who has that kind of time? We both work. The best we could do is go home at lunch and let the dog out. My question is this: We are planning on crate training. How does an average american who works 8-6 5 days a week every get a puppy? Can we effectivly train the dog? Any info would help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,548 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 11:02 am
That's why adopting/purchasing during a time you will be home for a few days is a good thing. usually a puppy of 9 or more wks will be fine until lunch time. better to start on a friday night, so you have saturday and sunday to work with crate training before the real test monday comes. This also give a chance for a pup to realize they must hold it and peeing whenever they want isn't how things work. Builds their bladder as well.

The 2 days of practice WHILE you're home will allow you to keep your dog in the crate and take out in shorter increments. I know it will be hard b/c you'll want to hold your puppy instead of crating it, but done correctly .....most pets will have perfected it within a week. most pets "get" it after just a few days.

Persistence and patience, persistence and patience.

you could always resort to getting a puppy gate up and leaving a puppypad out in that SMALL area (laundry room, bathroom). Then coming home to take your pup outside to pee. It's easy for puppies to learn both at once. Just an alternative. my dog goes in a litterbox.

Good luck. The lunch time thing will be just fine. Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 12:01 pm
Just another thought if you do not want to have to train the puppy, consider adopting an adult dog that is already trained and been through teething, etc. There are always young dogs available for adoption even specific breeds of dogs through rescue leagues. I understand how cute and lovable puppies are, but they do require more attention than an adult dog.
0 Replies