dieties same and different

dauer

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:41 pm
What makes one diety the same or different from another diety? Are these differences superficial? Do similar experiences of diety mean same diety? Do similar attributes of diety mean same diety? Are an athiest buddhist and a fundamentalist Christian both expressing a relation with the same "thing," albeit in very different ways?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 943 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm
Daur,

As a Buddhist what I refer to as Ultimate Reality (The Indivisible, ineffable source of the Illusory World existing without dimension or consciousness), might well be denoted God. Though there are references in other religious writings that might well be describing God in a similar fashion, the mainstream Abrahamic descriptions of God seem quite different. God didn't create the universe, the world, and all creatures; all things are only different manifestations of God. The Abrahamic God exists in a finite universe with beginnings, endings, and boundaries, my conception of God is of unbounded Infinity. The Abrahamic God is an omniscient consciousness with a plan who from time-to-time exercises omnipotent power to tinker with the physical laws of the universe. My version of God is the foundation of the Universe and physical laws are only an expression of God.

The two versions can only be reconciled with difficulty so long as the two definitions are so far apart. Mystics tend to be closer than theologeans.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
Asherman, I wouldn't say the Abrahamic God exists in a finite universe, as I've always been taught God is infinite and beyone time and space, having predated both, not that there was time before that He could be dated at, but you get my point. Also, in Judaism, it is understood that all miracles coincide with the laws of physics, and when they do not seem to, it is because these things had been a part of creation from the beginning, and there is no violation because it was always supposed to have happened that way. These aren't particularly modern ideas either, as I understand it.

I'm really not looking to reconcile the differences. They're there. It's really just that across the board there are similar experiences. To me this suggests that no matter how the issue is addressed, it's all actually the same.

To give an example, in Judaism, the Christian understanding of God is not the same, because he has different attributes, yet at the same time, we acknowledge that, despite their praying to something that is described differently, the source is the same. It is still the one God who they are connecting to.

I picked two opposite ends for a reason. Discussing Islam and Judaism, there is little if any difference. Judaism and Christianity, there is now some difference. Christianity and Buddhism, and now the difference is at its extreme. But are all of these differences, in the end, all superficial?

I agree about mystics and theologians, and I've heard it said before, Campbell I think was where I read it first. So if, within the same religion, a mystic and theologian experience things differently, does this mean that they have a different approach or that they are approaching something different?

I guess I'll just use the word God in a sweeping manner as you have, since there doesn't seem to be any adequate word to describe that which all spiritually-inclined individuals are relating to.
0 Replies

blueSky

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:43 pm
The same truth, but many different expressions - Vedas

Quote:
no matter how the issue is addressed, it's all actually the same

Tend to Agree with that the spirituality of all religions is the same. The same picture hanging in different frames. Sometimes the frame overpowers and obscures the picture. Nevertheless.

And anything one puts attention on grows. The differences tend to get blown out of proportion which have lead to some violent doctrine drifts. It is very constructive to focus on the sameness of the picture (spirituality) than on the differences of the frame (religion)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:34 pm
One thing that makes deities the same as each other is that, nearly as I can tell, ALL (so-called) deities are human guesses about the unknown.

It is, of course, possible that one of these thousands of deities actually represents the TRUTH about Ultimate REALITY...and has revealed Itself to be THE deity...but there is precious little (if any) reason to assume that to be so.

And even if we did assume it to be so...it would be an assumption...which takes us full circle.

For that reason...if there were a poll involved in this thread...I would vote that the sameness is greater than the differentness.
0 Replies

Abu Ishaq Al Juwayri

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:06 pm
frank....in your mind, you've planted your flag firmly....as have i....forgive me for once again saying you simply choose to ignore the evidence we have for christianity......

you demand scientific proof because you reason that if there were a god he owes us all at least that much for throwing us into this life......

your mind is a closed door. god had determined that faith is the true test.......we are designed to seek after god....he wrote his laws on our hearts....we only harden our hearts........

god will not come into someones life uninvited......but i believe he waits with infinite patience for each of us to call out to him.....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:15 am
Abu Ishaq Al Juwayri wrote:
frank....in your mind, you've planted your flag firmly....as have i....forgive me for once again saying you simply choose to ignore the evidence we have for christianity......

No I haven't. I look at the evidence that Christianity exists...and I agree...it does exist.

Now if you are talking about the "evidence" that Christianity has about the Ultimate Reality...and about any gods...

...well...there simply ain't any of any use at all!

You cannot "ignore" what is not there.

Quote:
...you demand scientific proof...

I defy you to go through my 5000+ posts and find even one instance where I have even asked for scientific proof of anything.

Quote:
... because you reason that if there were a god he owes us all at least that much for throwing us into this life......

Are you making this stuff up yourself...or do you have help?

Quote:
...your mind is a closed door. god had determined that faith is the true test.......we are designed to seek after god....he wrote his laws on our hearts....we only harden our hearts........

Gimme a break!

Quote:
god will not come into someones life uninvited......but i believe he waits with infinite patience for each of us to call out to him.....

Right...if you fervently "believe" there is a God...the God will come to you!!!!!

Wake up!

If you fervently believe there is a Santa Claus...Santa Claus will come.

Try to be logical.
0 Replies