Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 01:38 pm
I'm getting a soft-water softener installed, which is a good thing, since our water hardness is way off the scale...BUT...there is no way to isolate the water that pipes to the back patio area where my rose buses are. It's going to be soft now. The CulliganMan said it wouldn't be a problem (although we didn't go with a Culligan system because it was too expensive.) The plumber said it would be disaster for my roses.

Has anyone got any experience in this area? I'm a new gardener, having just planted these bushes in the spring. I love them so much though, and don't want to be killing them off. Will soft water hurt them? Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage?

Thanks so much for your help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 07:45 pm
I have no idea, but I am posting in hopes that someone who does will see the question.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:03 pm
Hello, 2wheeling: How are your roses by now? My guess is that your straight tap (unsoftened) water isn't as toxic for them, but the desert heat and dryness will eventually concentrate the mineral buildup around your plants to an intolerable level.
I'm surprised that your entire system is softened , since the process merely adds salt to your water in order to enable soap to lather for bathing and laundry; usually, only the hot water is softened.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VAARAxAZrSw0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lXyJpOIOJJiKNX2YHOwo2ij4stdwl1ZoHmcon8msdlldeGQX00L6qlZQF1F9eqxbQyYBj4C3pYYlI7T5fH5xTahMwOr*IJ1*V/neko%20nomad%2045.jpg

Happy Gardening and Good Luck !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/sylvester-blu_2.gif
0 Replies