Big Bad Black Holes

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 10:36 am
ooooh, "galactic sculptors"
Ahhh, "co-evolution"

black hole theories

"Practically side-by-side in time, discovered in separate observations made as part of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, are compact but bright objects known as quasars. These galaxies-to-be shine brilliantly because, researchers believe, each has a gargantuan black hole at its core, whose mass is equal to a billion suns or more, all packed into a region perhaps smaller than our solar system.....Quasars also seem to be surrounded by halos of dark matter"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,600 • Replies: 58
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 05:48 pm
The comprehension of non-matter is beyond my scope of understanding. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 10:39 pm
oh black hole theories, quasars, non matter

just lovely k...thanks for the link Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2003 11:22 pm
sure thing!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:33 am
Wow littlek. Looks like the universe is the greatest of all abstract artists.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 09:39 am
yeah...
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:09 pm
Did you know that quantum mechanics states that if a observer positioned outside a black hole watches an astronaut (or any object) falling into a black hole, that the astronaut takes almost an eternity to fall into the black hole?
However, this event from the astronauts position is totally different.

JM Shocked
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:11 pm
I did!
Welcome to a2k, JamesMorrison.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:24 pm
JamesM, WELCOME to A2K. In what way is the astronaut's experience different? c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 06:36 pm
Cic, it's in real time for the guy getting sucked into the gravitation pull. I think.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
littlek, But what makes us think we're in "real time?" c.i.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 07:19 pm
c.i.,

Actually I misspoke. The difference is due to Einstein' Theory of Relativity.
The astronaut experience is real time (so to speak) in that approaching the horizon of the black hole (that point at which nothing escapes, not even light)
he starts to feel tidal gravity forces due to the black holes immense gravity (he is alternately stretched at the ends and compressed from the sides). These forces eventually tear him, and the atoms he is composed of, asunder. He then becomes indistinguishable from any thing else in the black hole.

If we observe the astronaut from a long distance away where we are safe from the black hole, let's say earth, we see something a little differently (Due to Einstein’s Theory). As the astronaut gets closer and closer to the hole he picks up speed. At some point this speed becomes a significant percentage of the speed of light and time dilation effects take hold. The light coming from the astronaut becomes more and more red shifted. In relation to us observers the astronaut’s time slows down and the closer to the speed of light that the astronaut travels the slower time appears to move to us. Ultimately, as the theory goes, if the astronaut obtains light speed time ceases altogether.
The astronaut’s fate is still unenviable, however, in that at light speed he becomes pure energy.

JM
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2003 08:01 pm
To Just Hatched James Morrison, Thank you for explaining black holes and time in a way I can (probably) understand. Wink I'm going to enjoy seeing your contributions around A2K for many years to come - even when we disagree on different issues. WELCOME. Very Happy Mr. Green c.i.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:43 am
Quasars are facinating in a number of ways;

while we cannot "see" a black hole, we can "visualize" them by examining the electromagnetic emenations occurring within the region of the event.

since they are the most distant from the source event location of our universe, they must be considered the oldest physical occurrances.

is it not interesting that the oldest, most distant phenomina we can "see" consist of objects which are catastrophically collapsing into "nothingness".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 12:02 pm
Does black holes and non-matter have anything in common? c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 02:31 pm
non-matter?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 02:52 pm
littlek, This link came up by typing "non-matter" in Google.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/4656/WasteWorld/Shogunate/ForceBlades.html

c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:08 pm
crikey, Cic!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:32 pm
JamesMorrison wrote:
Did you know that quantum mechanics states that if a observer positioned outside a black hole watches an astronaut (or any object) falling into a black hole, that the astronaut takes almost an eternity to fall into the black hole?
However, this event from the astronauts position is totally different.

Then, if you are an outside observer away from the "black hole", the black hole has not formed the singularity yet, as masses cannot reach its horizon in your finite time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 09:35 pm
Here's an interesting link some of you might wish to read.
It's a Q&A with Dr Michio Kaku.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spacechat/livechat/michio_kaku.shtml

c.i.
0 Replies