bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:59 am
What do you think should be done about Sudan's genocide? Are these people less deserving of help from the US? Why do people disreguard Africa? Do you feel they are beyond help? They want peace and democracy as much if not more than the Iraqis. 1.4 million are running for their lives, and since the Bush administration entered into office more than 2 million have died in this civil war. Time reports " After 18 months of atrocities in Sudan, the international community has yet to take a single punitive action against the Sudanese government." But we woll all sit back and watch another "Rwanda '94" as millions of poeple die, women and children are raped and AIDS is spread rampantly. I heard one story of a janjaweed terrorist pointing his gun at a child only to see it was a girl and leaving her, and walking on to find an 18 month old boy and seeing him as a threat in the future, he proceede to toss the small child up in the air while his comrads and himself shot him.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,500 • Replies: 24
No top replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:05 pm
I'll take eveyones lack of interest as an answer to my question. Sad any human being is unworthy of attention.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:32 pm
bellavu wrote:
I'll take eveyones lack of interest as an answer to my question. Sad any human being is unworthy of attention.
Isn't the issue with Sudan one of religion? Isn't the Muslins killing the Christians? If so I can see why the US hasn't gotten involved in the matter. If the US were to get involved it would look as if we were chosing sides in a religious war and it would only rally liberals and terrorists alike. Liberals don't like to be involved in religion and to take sides in an issue like this would only bring the religion haters out against Bush.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:39 pm
Not quite Baldimo...but good effort. Since we're already involved in one religious crusade it would over extend our military to wade into another. But since our administration isn't keen on working with the UN on the Sudan conflict nobody has generally done anything. The best that we can hope is that president Kerry revitalizes the efforts of the US to be part of the UN peace keeping force that will bring the genocide to an end.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:44 pm
TIME reports "The United nations reports the pogrom has created the worst humanitarian disaster in the world today." also "...the death rate in Darfur was three tomes the emergency threshold, with hundreds dying everyday and tens of thousands likely to die by the end of the year." Powell declared "WE concluded- I concluded- that genocide has been committed in Darfur..." Powell told lawmakers, "No new action is dictated by this determination"-despite the fact that the international Genocide Convention, signed by the U.S. and 134 other countries, obligates signatories to "prevent and to punish" genocide where it is occurring. It also says, like we heard from the presidents own mouth, "they have ruled out sending any troops. they are instead supporting a proposal to deploy African observers not to stop the violence but to monitor it." "Sudans government and the Janjaweed are systematicly expelling Darfurs nonArarb population, mudering tens of thousands and permitting widespread gang rape-to make what they say will be lighter-skinned babies and ensure that the nonArab tribes will be too degraded to return to their homes." They have placed the responsibility on president Kartoum and the Sudan govt. knowing full well he funded and permitted the Janjaweed and continues to do so.

Are you telling me we should ignore this?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:44 pm
Sadly, the lack of response probably has more to do with knowing that there's nothing we (as people) can do about it. Last I checked, they were talking about sending in African Union troops, but I don't know if that will work. Mostly I just feel sad about it and so prefer not to talk about it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:46 pm
panzade wrote:
Not quite Baldimo...but good effort. Since we're already involved in one religious crusade it would over extend our military to wade into another. But since our administration isn't keen on working with the UN on the Sudan conflict nobody has generally done anything. The best that we can hope is that president Kerry revitalizes the efforts of the US to be part of the UN peace keeping force that will bring the genocide to an end.

How much of the US military should be placed under UN control for peace keeping missions? As a member of the US military I don't want to be under command of a non-US General. I didn't pledge to uphold the UN, I pledged to protect the US and the UN doesn't look out for the US, but to under mine the US.

Care to name this religious crusade we are on? If you refer to the War on Terror, then lets call it as you see it and let the terrorists know that that's what it is. Would you support this war on Islam as you call it?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:47 pm
I think FreeDuck has lots of company in this.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:52 pm
Freeduck: But there is something we can do, sadly we as people, are also to wrapped up in the war on Iraq, to even try. Humanitarians !!! Check out the Amnesty International website. We could help if we wanted too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:53 pm
One has to seperate the struggle against terrorism from the effort to make Iraq our puppet state in the Middle East. Otherwise there can be no discussion.

Every peace keeping mission has soldiers serving under the UN, and yet Americans feel the rules should be different for them.

The African observers will only note the genocide, they'll do nothing to stop it. The only hope is that the U.S. sends help in concert with the U.N. That is something the Bush administration is not too keen on, as shown in the last few years in Iraq.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 05:54 pm
Actually, I contribute to Amnesty whenever they mail me -- I thought it went for political prisoners. I would love to think that money actually helped people in Sudan.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:01 pm
Wasn't one of th reasons to go to war with Sadam because of his attempts at genocide? And to free the Iraqi people? Genocide is Genocide be it based on religion, race, sex, etc.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
Do you really believe the United States can traipse all over the world preventing genocide by itself?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:06 pm
Nobody believed that. They pulled out the old standby humanitarian reasons when the WMD didn't turn up.

A military intervention with the UN in Sudan to prevent further genocide would be an action our country and our soldiers could be proud of. Imagine actually being greeted as liberators.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:15 pm
I would be proud.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:18 pm
The problem is Bush has alienated our allies. Do they appear to trust him? Like I reported earlier 134 other countries signed the Genocide Convention, which was brought about after the Holocaust. Are you aware president Clinton ignored the Genocide in Rwanda '94? The result; over 2 MILLION people died at the hands of their neighbors with makeshift knives and machetes. The result of the tens of thousands of rapes that occured there; African women& babies are the leading victims of the horrendous AIDS epidemic. This will only get worse. As terrorist militias gain power their target widens, these are very vicious and dangerous poeple
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:24 pm
Yes, he might have been at fault for not spearheading a stop to the slaughter. He did better with ethnic cleansing(read:genocide) in Kosovo.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:57 pm
Freeduck: I also would be proud. To stop the violence that is occuring there, that would be a noble war. My objection to this war is I feel Bush has "changed positions" on the reasoning behind it. Therefore I don't clearly know what we are doing there. I have no respect or faith in Bush.
0 Replies

bellavu

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 07:37 pm
Panzade: We do indeed need to work with the UN. That is where our allies lie, if we disreguard them we are disreguarding our allies. Bush has insulted them, by implying we dont need their permission or help.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:22 pm
Like FreeDuck, I, too, give money to Amnesty International as well as to Doctors Without Borders. I really don't know what else I could, personally, do.
0 Replies