chatoyant

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:11 am
Vietnamnurse, I'm glad your cat is doing better. It's always so hard to lose our pets, but we have to expect that. Enjoy him for as long as he has. He might be around quite a while, you never know!

msolga, yes I think you're right about the bliss my cat must be feeling. It's so funny to hear her ... purrrrrrrrrrrrr (hic) purrrrrrrrrrrr (hic) purrrrrrrrrr (hic) etc. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:20 am
VietNurse - that's great news!

I can't give my screech the oral medication. He froths and foams and drool and hisses and chokes - he looks possessed. Poor guy. But, he's getting really good about taking his shots.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 04:52 pm
There were two cats upstairs when I moved in, Momma was 17, Daughter 15...truely amazing how long they can go. Probably why I got mine, after they were gone I missed being greeted by the purrs.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:00 pm
Minnie Pearl is the cat we have now. After my little black cat got sick and died, I thought I'd never get another (long years with many cats). But we acquired Minnie quickly and suddenly.

She doesn't purr, is not a lap sitter. But she can't stand being left out of things, and follows me into the bathroom to see where I'm going. While there, she usually gives a desultory swipe in the litter box to make it look legitimate. She talks more than any other cat we've had, and my husband talks back to her. But I think I've heard her purr once or twice lately.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 11:29 pm
Vietnamnurse

A nice story. Your grey cat sounds very special & I'm so glad he responded to the medication. Nothing worse than a sick & sorry critter! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 12:16 am
littlek

Is the oral medication in pill or liquid form? I used to have the same problem with giving my critters pills & the vet gave me an (inexpensive) applicator thingy that made it much, much easier. (Part of the problem is that I HATE doing it to the poor things! Shocked They can obviously pick this up & react accordingly ... Grrr, choke, spit ...!!)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:21 pm
My two long-haired black domestics, George (Washington Carver Blount) and Jo(sey Wales Blount) are about 1 and 1/2 years old. They have a barely detectable, breathy little purr. It's like 1/2 of their breathing cycle (breathe in-purr out, breathe in-purr out, etc.), and the only time you can hear it without listening hard is when they're trying hard to show affection.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:53 am
My little 16 yr old "pocket panther" Korat has got a terrible upper respiratory infection and has lost his loud purr. I am going to the vet this am, and I hope very much that he can be helped. If not, I am going to miss his purr more than I can say...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 12:51 pm
Love that avatar, Vietnamnurse, I remember that photo!

On your cat, I so hope he gets better soon...
and I think I have his purr. I have had this long lasting upper respiratory infection and sound like two miles of gravel road....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 02:19 pm
LittleK

Sparky, the cat we have now occasionally sits in my lap or Nancy's lap -- but mostly she just likes to sit near to us. She very seldom purrs -- although the frequency has been increasing in recent months. She's 12.

My cat, Cat, was a lap cat -- and was so attached to me I almost changed his name to tattoo. He purred all the time -- and purred so loudly, you could hear him from quite a distance.

He was a very large, muscular, handsome cat -- tough as nails but great with people. Not a shy cat at all. I love dogs (not as much as cats, but...) but Cat did not like dogs at all -- and on the few occasions where a stray dog got into our yard, he would attack like a tiger. I never saw a dog stand up to him -- and one of the dogs was a huge husky from two houses down.

Cat died two years ago -- and I still think of him and mist up because I miss him so much.

Thanks for the excuse to talk about him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 03:44 pm
V-nurse - I have my fingers crossed for you and Korat. The vet should be able to do something about that, eh?

Ossobucco - I hope you're feeling better too, been to a doctor?

Frank - Cat sound like an awsome pet! I'm sure you miss him a lot. I still miss my little grrl cat, Squirrel. She was Screech's sister and died 2 years ago. I still miss her too. I was a mess for months....

My sick lil Screech was never a purrer, but he's started to purr more with this diabetes thing. Especially when he's coming out of a bad episode (pancreatitis?).

My sister's cat has bone cancer in her face. She's 19 and it's the saddest thing. Slowly the cancer changes the contours of half her face. Her jaw bone is gone, her eye socket is squashing her eye ball. Her whole face on one side pulls up towards her eye, her mouth even. Poor old cat. SHe's purring up a storm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 04:07 pm
little k, I am much better the last couple of days, thanks for asking!

oh, the cat with bone cancer purring up a storm is soooooo sad and touching.
I think of that as painful...but do cats purr in a lot of pain?
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:27 pm
Oh, I really brought out the "cat people" didn't I? I am like Frank, I LOVE my dogs, but in a different way than I love the cats. This cat, Chai (his name is short for L'Chaiyim--"to life" in Hebrew), is a little Korat, another breed from Thailand. They are grey with silver tips to the fur, green eyes, and a heart shaped face. This breed is notorious for acting like dogs...they will fetch and go for walks.

The vet gave him a shot of steroid (dexamethasone...high powered stuff) and started an antibiotic called Baytril. HE HAS TO BE PILLED! Oh, my, this is going to be fun! He isn't eating yet, but drinking a little and talking to me, so I do think he may pull out of it. The purrs are coming back!

Thanks all of you for all your nice thoughts...I have never had a cat this long or one I love as much as him.

Ossobucco, I hope you feel better too!

My avatar is from the cover of National Geographic...the Afghani girl. I can give you the NG link for it if you want. Her eyes are vivid green and mesmerizing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:37 pm
Yes. that's a famous picture. I thought it was National Geographic! I remember the eyes...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:44 pm
NGS ran an article about her within the last couple of years - after the bombing started in Afghanistan. The guy who took her picture found her again and arranged with her husband to photograph her again. Very interesting article, that.

I too love dogs, but find myself to be more attracted to cats. Eh, I love MY dog to bits, but most other dogs I can take or leave. Your Chai, V-nurse, sounds like my sister's ocicat. I bet they share some breeding.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:52 pm
Chai is Vietnamnurse's cat....

I love cats and dogs both...but am more violently allergic to cats. I still like to hear about them though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:56 pm
<corrected, so sorry for the confusion>
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:57 pm
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/100best/multi1_interview.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:57 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
LittleK

My cat, Cat, was a lap cat -- and was so attached to me I almost changed his name to tattoo. He purred all the time -- and purred so loudly, you could hear him from quite a distance.

He was a very large, muscular, handsome cat -- tough as nails but great with people. Not a shy cat at all. I love dogs (not as much as cats, but...) but Cat did not like dogs at all -- and on the few occasions where a stray dog got into our yard, he would attack like a tiger. I never saw a dog stand up to him -- and one of the dogs was a huge husky from two houses down.

Cat died two years ago -- and I still think of him and mist up because I miss him so much.

Thanks for the excuse to talk about him.

Frank

I always think it's so UNFAIR that critters don't live as long as humans!!!!!
I, too, have many, many fond memories of precious cats which are long gone. Pussa is one that comes to mind. (Actually he sounds very much like your Cat!) ... And Billy Baxter, a wonderful gentle cat that I was VERY attached to ... <sigh>
I figure their spirits are still hovering around, always Very Happy ... Afterall we had such strong attachments to them & they were so important to us. So it's nice to be able to talk about them, yes? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:04 pm
Vietnamnurse wrote:
This cat, Chai (his name is short for L'Chaiyim--"to life" in Hebrew), is a little Korat, another breed from Thailand. They are grey with silver tips to the fur, green eyes, and a heart shaped face. This breed is notorious for acting like dogs...they will fetch and go for walks.

The vet gave him a shot of steroid (dexamethasone...high powered stuff) and started an antibiotic called Baytril. HE HAS TO BE PILLED! Oh, my, this is going to be fun! He isn't eating yet, but drinking a little and talking to me, so I do think he may pull out of it. The purrs are coming back!

quote]

All the best with it, Vietnamnurse! Chai sounds very special & I'm so sorry he's so sick. I know what you're going through, having recently done the streroid & drug treatment with an ailing cat. It's not easy & sad, too. Good luck & best wishes!
0 Replies