In Laws, boy or girlfiend's parents, stories now or years ago, funny or sad

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2016 02:17 pm
I was thinking about the thread I started about learning to love art (also music) in one's youth, this being related to the occurrence of less and less classrooms teaching those now. I mentioned that I learned a lot from my first boyfriend about art and I'm still grateful.

What does this have to do with a significant other's parents? It's that this reminded me of my having two different mothers heartily dislike me... including that fellow's, oh so long ago. Both mothers found me distasteful for religious reasons. One because I was just leaving being a catholic, and couldn't be trusted not to go back (his family was jewish atheist, I was trouble on the horizon); the other, a dozen years later, because I not only wasn't catholic, but that I was a non-believer, then soon to call myself atheist.

It wasn't until today that I started to picture both mothers meeting, both adamant.... and started laughing. I can earnestly say one was a much better cook.. both pretty good women. I married the son of the second mentioned mother (and father). They refused to come to our wedding..

Adding to the memory fun - the first set of boyfriend parents were 30's communists. My later husband's parents were very conservative.

I was sort of used to all that at a young age, my father a politically inclined democrat and my mother conservative. I took after dad, had some mother troubles re lots of rules, but loved her, in my way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,503 • Replies: 0
No top replies