Need information about Cats

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:40 am
I have an old house cat..lately she has been limping with her left paw. I have looked at her paw and it seems like one of her claws has grown very long and turned inward. Do you have to take the cat to the vets to have her claws cut short ? Have you had the same kind of trouble with your cat ? How often should I take her to the vets.

Joe Harris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,723 • Replies: 35
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:46 am
I am able to clip my cats' claws - but, since your cat is in trouble, I would not hesitate to take it to the vet.

You may wish to ask the vet about how to clip claws - since it is important NOT to cut into the living part of the claw.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:48 am
Hmmm - how often to take her?

Most vets would probably recommend at least an annual check up.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 07:53 am
I had three really old cats and while they never had that specific problem it is true that their claws become very thick as they age.

I took them to the vet only if they were acting abnormal since they were old and still and didn't socialize with other animals -- putting them in the car and taking them to the vet was so stressful for them, the old dears.

My vet always examined their claws and trimmed them down during any checkup.

In your cat's case I would certainly take her in as her claw seems to be causing her discomfort. Maybe just go ahead and get her a checkup while you're there.
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:09 pm
Diowan - Boomerang;I received your answer to my question and I took my cat to the vet. It was not good news. The doc looked into the paw openning. He said that it did not look like a cut but he believes that the trouble maybe caused by a tumor in the foot bone. He trimed thr paw nails and gave me anti infection medication.(Clavamox) I am to give her the medication twice daily and then bring her back to the vets next Wed.If the x-rays show that she has tumor in the ffot then I will have to make a choice.I just hope and pray that the medicine will help her.
Joe Harris
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
Diowan - Boomerang ; By the way last year Snow had tumor in her left ear. they never healed so the left ear was removed.The doc said that it is possible that the left foot could also be with the same type tumor.

Joe Harris
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:06 pm
Aww, joe, I'm sorry. I really wish it had been as easy as an overgrown claw.

My dog has addison's disease which is caused by a tumor and we have treated her successfully for manyyears.

I'm guesing Snow is a white cat?

From what I hear tumors are more common in white cats than in others.

I've had to make hard choices several times in the last two year as all of my old cats started getting sick and ancient (16, 20 and 17? years when they died) and I know how terribly hard health care decisions can be for pets.

I provide a pretty good shoulder to lean on if you need it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Snow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 06:29 pm
Oh dear - I do hope she will be ok - and you, if you have to make the really hard decision.
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:22 pm
Boomerang; Thank you for your very kind post.Your thoughts about White cats is true, especially long hair white cats. The vet is a friend of mine and he told me that just about everyone who owns a long hair white cat will have tumor trouble as the cat becomes older.
Thanks again...............Joe H.
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 06:31 pm
Dlown; It was very good of you to send me your post. I of course wish and hope for the best. To lose a friend of many years hurts, the silent tears that will fall are often all that we can do.

Joe H.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:43 pm
Hey Joe.....

What's up with Snow? Did she do okay on the meds?
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 07:43 am
Boomerang;
I failed miserably trying to give ,"Snow" her medication. When we returned home from the vets I tried to give her a 1 cc of "Clivamox" but she about tore me to pieces. She broke free, ran away and hid in the apartment.
I saw her the next day eating her food but when she saw me she again ran away and hid.Every day throughout the week I would get glimpse of her.
It has been well over a week since she has run away and hid but today she let me come close to her. I saw the two open places of her face had dried up and new white haid is coming through the skin.
Her left paw with with the ulcer has lost its swoolen look. The openning between her toes isnt red away more but still open.
I have decieded to let nature take its course.
Thank you for your kind post.

Joe
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:35 am
Cats often seem to know whats best for them, don't they?

We can learn a lot from them.
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 01:44 pm
Boomerang:
Remember I told you that ,"Snow" had two ulcers in her left ear and we removed her ear to save her.

Ten months later an ulcer developed between her toes of her left foot. It became worse and yesterday I had to take her to the vets.

The doc told me that he would have to operate again. Whish meant that they would take her foot off. I believe that I did right by letting her go to sleep.No more pain.

I miss her very much and most of all at night for she always came to bed to say ,"Goodnight"' and then curl up on the bed to sleep the night through.

I am sure now, "No more pets" for it hurts too much when you loose them.

Joe
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 02:35 pm
Ohhhh Joe....

I am truly sorry for your loss. I know from experience what you must be going through. I grieved the loss of one of my own sweet felines for nearly a year and even now, 5 years later, she can still bring tears to my eyes and a longing to my heart. I wish you every comfort in your day by day process of acceptance. Take your time, friend....
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 05:49 pm
Lady;

I thank you for your post and your very kind words.

Joe Harris
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 08:36 pm
Oh Joe.

I'm so sorry about Snow.

I'm sure you made the right decision for her and she counted on you to do so.

I lost three old cats within a year of each other and I know how hard it is. My oldest cat slept on my head for 20 years and when she died I didn't think I would ever sleep again. I swore I would never get another cat.

I did still have my two dogs though. One of them is chronically ill and has to go to the vet at least once a month. One day while she was in for her visit, the receptionist told me about the cats she had been rescuing from a methamphetamine lab that had been busted in her neighborhood. She showed me the cat and I fell in love on the spot. I brought Biscuit home about 2 months ago and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

At first I felt like a traitor but later I realized that because I had loved my old cats so much that it was impossible for me to not have a cat. For me, it was really a way to honor their memory.

Animals are just a part of my well being.

I'm so sorry about Snow.

I know how hard it is.

If, or when, the right time to get another pet comes along, you'll know. I'm sure you have a lot to offer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:14 pm
My condolences, Joe. It's like ripping a piece out of our hearts when we have to let them go. But you did the right thing.

Right now, all you can feel is the pain. But in time, you will remember all the joy Snow brought you. Love is like that.

When my Katy died at the age of 16, it tore me up inside. I thought I would never get over it...I said I would never have another cat. It took me two years to remember all the great things she added to my life. Then I got two new kittens. I just couldn't live without that kind of joy in my life.

Give yourself time to heal, Joe. It won't always hurt this much.

(((((HUGS)))))
0 Replies

joe harris

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:29 pm
EVA:

You are a very kind person I thank you for taking your time to send me a warmith feeling of friendship.

Joe
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 04:00 pm
Joe, you're posts brought tears to my eyes. I am very sorry that you lost Snow. But I am sure she had a good life with you and was loved. Hopefully, one day you will be ready to give this love to another cat. I am quite sure you will...

Take care.
0 Replies