antonym of most

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:01 am
Most children were vaccinated. Is the antonym least?

Least children were vaccinated.

View best answer, chosen by Doubtful
perennialloner

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:17 am
@Doubtful,
Few is the word you should use.

Few children were vaccinated.
Doubtful

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:35 am
@perennialloner,
If, out of 1000 children, 501 are vaccinated, it is correct to say most. But if 499 children are vaccinated, it doesn't seem right to say few.
perennialloner

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:36 am
@Doubtful,
Oh, I thought you wanted an alternative to least?

Half, or almost half (of the children), might be good for that scenario.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:40 am
@Doubtful,
I agree with few. Thesarus.com went with "least".

I think if 501 out of 1000 children were vaccinated, "most" would be deceptive. "Most" to me would imply much more than 501.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:55 am
most is comparative.

less would be comparative.

Context is important. Can you provide the entire paragraph?
perennialloner
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:57 am
@Doubtful,
I understand what you're trying to use "least" for, but it's just not usually used that way.

If you're looking for a true antonym, I suppose you could say "a minority of..." (less than half) as an opposite of "a majority of..." (more than half).

However, even then, native English speakers wouldn't say a "minority of the children were vaccinated." I think most of them would probably say "a majority of the children weren't vaccinated."
Doubtful

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:19 am
@PUNKEY,
For now I used minority, but I could do as Perennialloner else suggested and change it to "majority were homemakers."

Even though the cohorts differed with respect to education level (p=0.003) and socioeconomic classification (p=0.011), both groups had a prevalence of women with 11 years or more of formal education (43.9% and 55.2%) and from socioeconomic class C (63.6% and 72.8%). The minority of women in the intervention cohort were employed (38.1%), unlike the control cohort (58.7%) (p<0.001).
dalehileman

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:31 am
@perennialloner,
Quote:
you could say "a minority of..."
Best so far Loner
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 12:14 pm
@Doubtful,
If you are writing a paper, you should just use the exact number. 38.1% of the women in the intervention cohort were employed vs 58.7% in the control group.
Doubtful

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 02:21 pm
@engineer,
It's a translation, and you can't start a sentence with figures. Writing that number out (thirty-eight point one percent) is too clumsy, but I could start the sentence with "some" instead of "a minority."
engineer

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 02:36 pm
@Doubtful,
You are more familiar with your requirements than me, but the rules for technical papers are different. I can't see using words like most and some and then reporting values to three significant digits. I do agree you don't write out the number.
0 Replies