Giddens Theory on structuration: Selfidentity and systems

JensS

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 11:06 am
Dear Everyone,

I have a question regarding Anthony Giddens theory of structuration and his concept of self-identity in high modernity. I had some difficulties to understand how he connects the duality of structuration with his theory of self-identity. Selfidentity is a refleksive understanding of a persons own biografi.. so in relation to the structuration theory it could be understood as an agency which articulates itself through language system. However it selects events, integrating it into its biography.. not only by language but also by social system (regulized use of action) and it‘s already somehow developed sense of identity. So maybe the structuration of self identity should be analyzed twofolded: 1: action of selecting events which can be integrated into the biography 2 selfidentity regarded as a interactive system - a personality- because it already has a stable sense of self and a sense of how to act. I am very sorry about my english skills. I just want to know if this makes sense and if it is congruent with Giddens own theory. kind regards M
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,826 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 11:31 am
@JensS,
Jen for benefit of the Average Clod (me) you might restate the p and q in more nearly everyday language

Of course you might engender a few everyday responses….
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 11:43 pm
@JensS,
You are asking a question which involves both a detailed knowledge of Giddens' ideas, and a sophisticated analysis of "explanation". You are unlikely to get a satisfactory answer here.
From the little I have read it is indeed Giddens' objective to account for the interface between micro (self) and macro (societal) levels of analysis, but I cannot comment on his success in that. One path you might explore (not necessarily that of Giddens) is the idea of "self" as a macrocosm of "society". The epistemological problem with such an analysis, of which you already must be aware, is that sociological descriptions do not sit well with psychological descriptions.
Thank you for drawing my attention to this issue.
0 Replies