how can I use "get through"?

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 04:37 am
what is the often usage of "get through" and what is the unique usage of "get through" ?

View best answer, chosen by mayaphenomenal
Blickers

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 06:46 am
@mayaphenomenal,
Get through normally means to undergo a difficult process with some degree of success. Success doesn't have to be complete. Example: The house got through the hurricane, although we had to replace a bunch of windows that got broken and doors that got blown away.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 07:23 am
In Britain (I don't know about elsewhere) we also use 'get through' informally or conversationally to mean 'establish communication' or 'successfully convey a message'.

I tried calling my cousin on the phone but I couldn't get through [to him].

Last night I asked the hotel receptionist to make sure my breakfast was ready at 7 AM but evidently the message didn't get through to the kitchen.

(Angry boss, to junior employee): You have been found smoking in the office building twice now. The rules forbid smoking. if you are caught again you will be fired. Am I getting through to you?

He awoke and smelled smoke. He could hear crackling and it finally got through to him that the house was on fire.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 12:49 pm
@mayaphenomenal,
May there are other meanings, for instance just to get done with: When you get through with it, turn it off
contrex

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 01:09 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
May there are other meanings, for instance just to get done with: When you get through with it, turn it off

'Through' to mean 'finished' is almost exclusively North American, and not very common in British English.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 03:24 pm
@contrex,
Aha
0 Replies