Particles of empty space

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:51 pm
Since atoms are mostly empty space, and since electrons are really just charges existing as a cloud of probability around a nucleus, and since protons and neutrons are just combinations of quarks in a similar probabilistic state, is there anything "solid" in the universe at all, or is it all just little tiny spherical fields interacting with each other giving the illusion of solidity?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 757 • Replies: 6
No top replies

doglover

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:00 pm
The only thing I know is that those tiny spherical fields my dog leaves in the yard are definately solid and are no illusion. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:20 pm
All is bumping electrons.

Potential, interacting.

Still, all seems pretty solid to me.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2004 05:55 pm
We don't know if "solid" is a possibility in our reality or just a perception. For that you'd need to really need to understand what reality is all the forces and partices, time and space to the n-th degree, and be confident there was no more subtle underlying reality below our current theoretical models or reality that changed everything.

Why do you care - it may be decades, millennia before we know - or we may never know!
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:40 pm
And as Albert Einstein once told a class of Cliffies as a guest lecturer, if you took a bunch of Harvard men and put them at the end of a gymnasium and put an equal number of Radcliffe women at the other end and had them approach each other each time moving half way toward each other, theoritically they would never reach.

But in the words of Einstein: "They would get close enough for all practicle purposes."
0 Replies

padmasambava

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 08:42 pm
Sorry for the Spelling:

I believe the story was told by Dr. Einstein specifically to define what he meant by the expression: "For all practical purposes."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 04:19 pm
Adrian wrote:
All is bumping electrons.

Potential, interacting.

Still, all seems pretty solid to me.

You should shorten this and make a "physics-ku."
0 Replies