Editing: What you see

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 03:51 pm
I've seen a few posts that have been edited, and say something like "last edited by ____ [usually the person who wrote it] at ____". When I've edited my posts, though, I don't see anything. Is it just that the person who does the editing doesn't see that line, but others do?

(I edited this by italicizing the "others" -- this line I entered myself, nothing automatic.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,536 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 04:00 pm
I was wondering about the edit notation myself. You mean we can change these things? That could be good or bad - bad in that you could render all following responses meaningless, as someone once did to me on Abuzz with a sudden name change. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 04:08 pm
roger, let's experiment. I'm about to change my first post... can you tell me if you see any line? (Should be in italics, at the bottom.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 04:08 pm
Oh roger! You go on about that! It so wasn't on purpose!

As to editing:

The message appears only if other people have posted a reply for that very reason (not to make them look bad if the poster decides to edit the post).

If you edit before anyone replies it doesn't show up. Moderator edits also don't show up so moderators should include that line themselves.

I can setup code that will limit all editing to a certain amount of time (e.g. 15 min) but there are drawbacks to that as well. First it is no guarantee that the person won't snag someone in a trick in that time. And most of all it would take away a big feature (being able to add to a list after input by editing your post etc).

If you guys want me to add the edit time limit just let me know and I'll work on it (if I have time).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 04:10 pm
A-ha, thanks for the explanation, Craven.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2002 07:05 pm
It worked. This is a copy of what I see, except the copy doesn't show the word others as italics. In your edited version, it is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a few posts that have been edited, and say something like "last edited by ____ [usually the person who wrote it] at ____". When I've edited my posts, though, I don't see anything. Is it just that the person who does the editing doesn't see that line, but others do?

(I edited this by italicizing the "others" -- this line I entered myself, nothing automatic.)

Last edited by sozobe on Sat Oct 26, 2002 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total

Oh, when I pasted, I got multiple copies and deleted all but one.

Oh, that's right Craven. Forgot the occasion for a moment. You were in your . phase, right?
0 Replies