strange nut from 1945, South Pacific

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
I was given a seed from the south pacific, somewhere, which my great uncle has had since WWII. I would like to try and identify it with your help.

Dimensions: 4.5 x 5.0 cm (1.75" x 2") near-cirlcular disc, 0.5 cm (< 0.5")thick.

Description: it's slightly less reddish than chesnut brown - maybe closer to mahogany colored. It's split on both sides like a peace sign (like slicing a pie in three nearly equal pieces), but I think that's from applied pressure rather than from a natural split. But, the split is nearly identical on each side, so maybe it is natural. The inside, what I can see of it, is lighter - orangy-tan.

I'm guessing it's a tree seed rather than a smaller plant seed because of it's size. I'm all geussing it's from a hardwood because of it's longevity - it's been 60 years, or so, and it's showing no signs of rot or decay so far as I can tell.

Any info I can search on would be helpful - thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,415 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:29 am
Sounds like a coconut seed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:18 pm
really? I didn't even think about coconuts.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 05:37 pm
Got it! I looked up coconut seed and found nothing on that specific topic, but I did find the thing I was looking for. And, it's got a cool story, too.

It's an Entada phaseoloides seed, or sea bean/ sea heart. It's from the biggest legume in the world with the pods reaching six feet long. The seeds are sea-faring. They float until they reach a shoreline - the same shore farther down, or a new one all together.

The sea heart is a variety from south america and is more distinctly heart shaped. It was said to give sailors good luck and safe return to their loved ones. There is a variety in europe which is more square.

Seed
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/seah3b.jpg
Pod
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/seahart4.gif
Vine (verticle in center/foreground of frame)
http://www.seabean.com/locations/Australia/jpg/Entada_phaseoloides_AtNatureCenter.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:07 pm
Good thing you found out. Otherwise, I was going to say to plant it and see what came up.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 07:45 pm
Hey littlek, I remember finding those on the beach in Florida.

Roger, I still think she should plant it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 10:11 pm
It's 60 years old and split on both sides! Hmmm.... maybe if I lived somewhere tropical.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:30 pm
Liitlek, what about a small greenhouse? I have a few seeds you could plant at the same time.
0 Replies