New to American Football

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 07:04 am
Hello everyone,
This is Vijay, working as a software eng. I have recently started watching American football. Can anyone please help me in understanding terms used or some important information that can help me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 960 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 07:11 am
@VijayKapoor,
Oh, boy.

American football has some fairly complicated rules but the main idea is to get the ball from the end zone (your team's side) to the opposite end (the other team's side). Scoring is either through a touchdown (6 points), an extra point field goal, which is a kick through the goal posts and can only come after a touchdown (1 point), an independently kicked field goal (3 points), and a conversion, where the offense may attempt to re-advance the ball into the opponent's end zone (2 points).

The guys, I am sure, will chime in with more information.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 09:35 pm
Yes, basically you are trying to advance the ball from one end of the field to the other. If you do that, or if you come close, you can score points as described in jespah's post. If you go all the way to your goal you get 6 points plus a chance at 1 or 2 bonus points. If you merely come close, you can kick a field goal for 3 points.

There are two more very important aspects of the game to keep in mind:

Play in American football isn't continuous as it is in soccer. It is broken into discrete units or "plays" with dead ball situations in between.

Football has rules to ensure that the team with the ball doesn't sit on the ball and run out the clock. Every 3 or 4 plays you have to advance the ball another 9 meters or the other team gets the ball. These 3 or 4 plays are known as downs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 12:13 am
A down is one play from a dead ball to action, in American football, one has four downs to make ten yards. In Canadian football, one has three downs to advance ten yards (so the passing game is much more important north of the border). There are rules governing eligible receivers of forward passes (as opposed to laterals passes), and rules governing the use of hands on the part of the defense. It's really hard to explain things as we don't know how much you know.
VijayKapoor

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 03:01 am
Many Thanks to all of you. Have got basic idea about the game. Can you please share some sources through which I can learn some tips of playing the game.
0 Replies

Abigail May

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 03:02 am
@Setanta,
ar you black?
0 Replies