PAGE SPILLING OFF RIGHT SIDE OF SCREEN

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:39 pm
Sometimes when I go to a topic to view posts, I can see the entire a2k page on my screen, from the far left blue vertical line to the far right vertical, in other words, the entire "box" holding a topic's or post's contents. Other times, I can only see about 3/4 of the page and am given a slide bar at the bottom of my screen to slide over to see the far right of the posts. Still other times, I can see only half, or less than half, of the page and have to use the slide bar to navigate way off to the right to read someone's post.

I have noticed this happening occasionally at other websites as well, so is it the fault of the settings I have in IE, or is it some fault with the particular web page that I can't override somehow in my settings?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,558 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:44 pm
I am not completely sure, but I think that if there is a very large picture on a thread, it may move everything over. I have noticed the same thing on my computer. I am not sure why it is happening to you on other sites!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 04:54 pm
Thanks, that would make sense. I'll keep an eye on posts that do that and see if they have a picture in them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 06:44 pm
It could also be one of those incredibly long urls, Larry. They are treated as a really long word, and the wordwrap function won't split them. That's one of several reasons to post them as named links. If you don't know how, and want to, just ask - especially Phoenix, but most anyone will be glad to answer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 06:48 pm
I now see you are in Sarasota, Larry. Have you considered showing up for the gathering in Florida? Click here for Florida Gather
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2003 07:06 pm
Yes, Roger, thanks for asking. Several others have mentioned it. I may or may not be starting a new job about then, so I'll have to wait and see. But signs point to Yes. Don't know why I couldn't get away for a weekend, its only a three or four hour drive.

I'll keep an eye out for those url's, the large picture theory above doesn't seem to be the problem. I haven't posted any real long url's myself, but I have wondered how you all have been naming some links.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:35 pm
roger wrote:
It could also be one of those incredibly long urls, Larry. They are treated as a really long word, and the wordwrap function won't split them. That's one of several reasons to post them as named links. If you don't know how, and want to, just ask - especially Phoenix, but most anyone will be glad to answer.

Right on.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 12:59 am
Thanks everyone, the long urls seem to be the common link, no pun intended, though the large images cause it too sometimes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 01:10 am
Larry, copy your url in the normal manner then click the reply button - NOT quick reply. Above the message block is a row of options in little boxes. The last one says URL. Click that one, and when a new window opens use the CTRL V combination to paste the url. Click OK. A new window opens. Type the name you want for your link into this box and click okay again. ALL DONE.

The instructions for posting pictures has been presented about the same way, only using the IMG box. To date it hasn't worked for me, but does for everyone else.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 01:31 am
TEST

ARTS & LETTERS DAILY
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 01:32 am
Beautiful! Thanks Roger
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 08:39 am
Very good Larry you've got it.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 10:47 am
That was pretty easy, I hadn't paid attention to this Post-a-Reply screen and all its options.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:35 am
I know it's somewhere, but can't seem to find instruction as to how to "quote" from someone's else's post and get that quote to show up in Quick Reply or Post Reply. So I can answer, specifically, what someone said.

Tex-Star

Am I even doing THIS right?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:40 am
In the upper right of every post you will see this button: http://www.able2know.com/forums/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif click it and you can quote that post.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:43 am
Tex-Star wrote:
I know it's somewhere, but can't seem to find instruction as to how to "quote" from someone's else's post and get that quote to show up in Quick Reply or Post Reply. So I can answer, specifically, what someone said.

Tex-Star

Am I even doing THIS right?

Nope. Do it the easy way and just click the Quote box in the response you want to quote. The Reply box will open up with the proper BB codes in place. If you just insist on using the quick response option, you will have to place the code manually.

In this response, I'm disabling the BB code so you can see what needs to be put in - if you really want to do it the hard way Smile

By the way, the quoted material can be altered, so don't just assume the material in the quoted block is an accurate quote.
0 Replies