North Carolina Trooper Fatally Shoots Deaf Man After Traffic Stop

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 04:44 am
North Carolina Trooper Fatally Shoots Deaf Man After Traffic Stop

by Tim Stelloh
[Community Remembers Deaf North Carolina Man Fatally Shot by Police]
Community Remembers Deaf North Carolina Man Fatally Shot by Police 1:22

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-carolina-trooper-fatally-shoots-deaf-man-after-traffic-stop-n636221

A North Carolina state trooper killed a deaf man last week after an attempted traffic stop, authorities and neighbors said Monday.

State trooper Jermaine Saunders shot Daniel Kevin Harris to death on Thursday after what North Carolina Bureau of Investigation described in a statement as "an encounter."

The bureau, which is investigating Harris' death, did not provide additional details. In an earlier statement, the North Carolina Highway Patrol said that the trooper tried to pull over a Volvo for speeding.

A brief pursuit followed, the statement says, and the driver, who is not identified, left his car.
Daniel Harris WCNC

"An encounter took place between the driver and the trooper causing a shot to be fired," the statement reads. The driver died at the scene, the statement adds, and the trooper was placed on administrative leave.

But a neighbor of Harris', Mark Barringer, who witnessed part of the confrontation, criticized the trooper's handling of the pursuit.

"They should've deescalated and been trained to realize that this is an entirely different situation," Barringer told NBC affiliate WCNC. "You're pulling someone over who is deaf. They are handicapped."

Howard Rosenblum, CEO of the National Association of the Deaf, said in a statement to NBC News that "there have been too many incidents with tragic consequences between law enforcement officers and deaf people."

Too often, Rosenblum said, officers order deaf people to comply with verbal commands — then act aggressively when they don't.

"This has led to many physical altercations between law enforcement officers and deaf individuals over the years, with some resulting in death," he said.

Intensive training should be required for officers, Rosenblum said, and some should be trained to communicate with people who are deaf or hard of hearing.

On a crowdfunding page said to be set up by Harris' family, a post says that any additional funding raised for a memorial will go toward educating and training law enforcement.

The page says that Harris was unarmed when he was killed by the trooper, although authorities didn't comment on whether he had a weapon or not.

The post adds that states should change their DMV registration systems so that a police stop triggers an alert showing that the person is deaf.

"With this change," the post says, "Daniel will be a hero in our Deaf community."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,081 • Replies: 14
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 04:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Is it relevant that he was deaf? Black? Autistic? Pregnant? ....
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 05:21 am
@mark noble,
Read the article, Mark, his family, friends, neighbors, a deaf association think so and actually this sort of event happens regularly.

The problem is the training of cops teaches them to shoot first and ask questions later.
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 05:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You - Have a thread - "Black lives matter'.
Adjectives only enhance discrimination.
"Fatal-shooting".
Is the only 'appropriate' headline.
relax12

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 05:57 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I think that along with enhanced training for police officers, perhaps there should be a universal "face" signal, like blinking the eyes repeatedly, that all people, including police should be able to recognize as a signal that the person cannot understand what you are saying. You don't want it to include use of the hands because the person might have their hands up and be too frightened to use them.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 07:19 am
@mark noble,
You don't half talk a load of rubbish, disabled people and those from ethnic minorities are disproportionately shot by police.

That's the point, sorry it doesn't fit in with your particular world view, but most people don't give a monkey's about that.
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
And you speak for 'most' people, I take it?
You mean 50 residents on a dated agony-aunt forum...
All the best to you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:42 am
@relax12,
Quote:
enhanced training for police officers

We almost require a stand-down for police retraining. We also need an intensive psychological look at who we're arming to be police. We need to make truly representational civilian police shooting review boards and start the indictment and trials for police who shoot unarmed, complying citizens and removing the legal defense of "well I thought I was in danger" from law. Good intentions pale in the bloody aftermath killing innocent citizens.
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:52 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The 'police' are not to blame.
Your culture is.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:17 am
@mark noble,
You really think anyone does give a monkey's? If you do you're delusional.
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:20 am
@izzythepush,
Not at all.
I'd post on a decent forum if I thought anyone cared. Or, if I cared, even.
A2k is like etch-a-sketch to me - Draw a silly picture, then rub it out.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:22 am
@mark noble,
I think you just want the attention.

Bless.
mark noble

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 09:26 am
@izzythepush,
Only if it's truly meant for me.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2016 08:43 pm
The Latest: Deaf driver killed by trooper afraid of police
Source: Associated Press

Aug 24, 5:52 PM EDT

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The Latest on the police shooting of a deaf man in North Carolina (all times local):

5:45 p.m.

The brother of a deaf man shot by a North Carolina state trooper says the 29-year-old was scared of police after several misunderstandings with officers.

Sam Harris said Wednesday that the family is still trying to piece together what happened a week ago. Authorities say Trooper Jermaine Saunders was trying to pull Daniel Harris over for speeding on Interstate 485 northeast of Charlotte when he led the officer on a 10-mile chase. Harris was shot within sight of his home.

Sam Harris says investigators have released little information to the family.

A review of public records shows a few traffic and other minor charges against Harris from other states, including two resisting arrest charges that were later dropped. Sam Harris stopped an interview when asked if those charges led to his brother's fear of police.

Read more: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_POLICE_SHOOTING_DEAF_DRIVER_THE_LATEST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-08-24-17-52-49
mark noble

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 06:41 am
@bobsal u1553115,
The (average) US death-toll 'police vs motorists' is 1k+ Per annum.
2 of them happened to be 'hearing-impaired'.
And now you suggest the police are targeting disabled folk....?

Let me tell you a story, Bobs...

THE "HEADLINES" are orchestrated to fck with you.
And you are allowing them to do so.

Yesterday - An Indiana wife called the police regarding an intruder (Burglar).
The police turned up and shot her husband, likely fatally.
You guys (Civilians/cops/soldiers, etc) are ****-scared of your daily plod.

It's no wonder you shoot your own shadows...

All the best to you.
Mark...
0 Replies