Putin moves to strengthen Kremlin's power

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:53 am
http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/09/13/putin_moves_to_strengthen/index.html

Sept. 13, 2004 | MOSCOW (AP) -- Responding to a series of deadly terror attacks, President Vladimir Putin on Monday moved to significantly strengthen the Kremlin's grip on power, with new measures that include the naming of regional governors and an overhaul of the electoral system.

Putin told Cabinet members and security officials convened in special session that the future of Russia was at stake and urged the creation of a central, powerful anti-terror agency.

"The organizers and perpetrators of the terror attack are aiming at the disintegration of the state, the breakup of Russia," he said. "We need a single organization capable of not only dealing with terror attacks but also working to avert them, destroy criminals in their hideouts, and if necessary, abroad."

Putin's declaration followed a series of stunning terror attacks blamed on Chechen rebels, climaxing in the three-day school seizure in southern Russia in which more than 330 people were killed.

<snip>

The parallels between Russian and US reactions are interesting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 928 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:43 am
seems about 3 years too late.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:45 am
I knew you'd say that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
seems about 3 years too late.

You don't know much about the USSR/Russian history and present situation, don't you, McG?
(There are a couple of threads running on this subject here.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:50 am
McG's world view extends as far as the closest WalMart. He does the best he can...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:32 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
McG's world view extends as far as the closest WalMart. He does the best he can...

Evil or Very Mad

I've been ignoring most of the "let's bash McG" threads today figuring it was justa bad day for liberals, but I'm going to ask you to back that up D'artagnon. What the **** do you know about me or what I know? I'll ask you to leave your personal observations of me off A2K. If you want to quote something I've said, go ahead but I won't put up with this nonsense.

we are here to discuss the world, not each other.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:38 pm
Easy fellas. Maybe Walter will enlighten us on USSR/Russian history and the present situation. We're all here to learn...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
I'm rather sure, McG isn't so ignoramt about this at all :wink:

My point actually was and is, that "3 years" has in fact no importance re Russian terrorism and criminal gangs at all as well as re the problems, Russia has - and has had since hundreds of years - with it's 'border republics'.
0 Replies