Sharon facing huge street protests re Gaza plan.

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
The New York Times reports:

FULL ARTICLE - free registratipn required.

"Israelis Protest Sharon's Plan to Oust Jews From Gaza

JERUSALEM, Sept. 12 - Tens of thousands of right-wing Israelis packed the streets of central Jerusalem on Sunday night in the latest mass protest against Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's plan to withdraw Jewish settlers from the Gaza Strip.

The rally occurred just hours after Mr. Sharon said at a cabinet meeting that growing incitement by right-wing activists could lead to violence, or even civil war, in Israel.

"We have witnessed in the past few days a very grave campaign of incitement, I would say, with calls that in essence are aimed at inciting a civil war," Mr. Sharon told his ministers in the first few minutes of the meeting, which was filmed by television crews. "I see this as very grave."

The demonstrators, meanwhile, filled Zion Square in a rally organized by settlers and their backers as part of their effort to derail the plan to pull out of Gaza, tentatively set for next year.

"Sharon, what happened to you?" read one banner, referring to his decades of strong support for settlements. "The government of Sharon is a government of destruction," said another held by the protesters, many of them young settlers.

The prime minister has said he sees no future for Israelis in Gaza, and is willing to leave the territory while trying to strengthen Israel's hold on the much larger West Bank settlements.

Both developments reflect the mounting tension in Israel as Mr. Sharon prepares to proceed with the withdrawal plan, which has the backing of most Israelis, polls show. But the Gaza pullout faces strong opposition from the well-organized settlers, in addition to segments of Mr. Sharon's own Likud Party and some other traditional supporters........."

Civil war in Israel? I hope not - I strongly support Sharon's policy - what do you think?

The article goes on to mention:

".......In another development on Sunday, a lawyer representing Israel told the High Court of Justice in Jerusalem that the state would re-examine parts of a West Bank separation barrier that has been constructed near Qalqilya, a Palestinian town, those present said.

The Association for Civil Rights in Israel filed the petition on behalf of Palestinian villagers who have been cut off from farmland and face other difficulties, said Yoav Loeff, a spokesman for the group. The judge gave the state 60 days to respond, Mr. Loeff said.

It will be the first time the state will re-examine a significant section of the barrier that has already been built, he said."

Hmmmmmmm....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 829 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:49 am
Did you ever have a stain on your clothes that no matter how hard you tried, you just couldn't get it out? Did you also know that there is no Hebrew word for 'queue'?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 08:56 am
My paper reports Jewish extremists denouncing Sharon's plans as ethnic cleansing of Jews, and equivalent to Nazi war crimes.

There is something of an irony here, as its usually Sharon who plays the anti-semitic card against his critics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:01 am
Cav.
Explain.

I have heard it said that Israel is faced with two major problem. The Palestinians and the Ultra Religious.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:02 am
Re: Sharon facing huge street protests re Gaza plan.
dlowan wrote:

Hmmmmmmm....

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18532. Articles to this topic should be placed there ;-)

well, Binyamin Netanyahu, the Finance Minister of Israel, calls for a national referendum to this case. If so, which would be the result? I suppose a close-run poll.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:16 am
au1929 wrote:
Cav.
Explain.

I have heard it said that Israel is faced with two major problem. The Palestinians and the Ultra Religious.

I happen to agree. The clash of extremism is the ongoing problem. When I read dlowan's article, I was actually surprised that Sharon would be trying to make this decision happen. However, I do feel that the bad blood goes too far on both sides of the issue, and that is the 'stain' I was metaphorically referring to. In terms of the 'queue' comment, having Israeli relatives and friends, all, of course from the army, and some from the Mossad, I know from their jokes that nobody in Israel ever lines up for anything, especially peace. It was simply an attempt at subtelty. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:27 am
Cav
I don't know if you have ever heard the expression. Where there are three Jews there will be two synagogues.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 09:38 am
Lol, yes au, I have heard that one. Where does the third one go, I wonder?
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 11:53 pm
Funny this stuff gets so much attention overseas.

I remember the settlers wanted to build up a live chain from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv or so... They pretty much cooled down when Sharon announced there will be no compensations for those who won't evacuate. So eventually, despite all their super-expensive campaigns and huge slogans like "A FORMER SHABAQ CHIEF SAYS: GAZA PLAN WILL BLOW UP IN OUR FACE" it all ended in a small demonstration (small - since they didn't publish the numbers, they always do when it exceeds 10,000). Oh, and a few articles in Maariv, Haaretz and New York Times Wink .

Civil war? Guys, be serious. Cavfancier probably knows (as anyone who ever been to the Middle East) that it's a regular Middle Eastern routine when people yell at each other at top of their lungs, then shake hands and go home. And, there always were protests - when Sinai was evacuated, and after every agreement with Palestinians.

Re opinion poll, seems like most people would vote for the evacuation; in Likud the score was almost even, and Likud represents the right wing.
cavfancier wrote:
In terms of the 'queue' comment, having Israeli relatives and friends, all, of course from the army, and some from the Mossad, I know from their jokes that nobody in Israel ever lines up for anything, especially peace. It was simply an attempt at subtelty. :wink:
Sort of Wink .

Well, there are queues, but there are always those who try to jump ahead.

PS. There's also another saying, "Two Jews have three opinions".
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 04:48 am
Interesting, Galilite...
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:11 am
dlowan wrote:
Interesting, Galilite...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:16 am