Mold concern after water leak

Harley6

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 11:14 am
Looking for advice as I deal with a major insurance claim after a pipe in my winter home (in AZ) leaked for possibly 10 days and created a major mess, including mold in the drywall.

My insurance company has been very responsive -- no qualms with that -- but the crew dispatched to do the dry out/cleanup/demolition of the affected rooms has raised big concerns.

The crew immediately set up equipment to scrub the air, and also turned on the air conditioning in the home, then began the process of tearing out wet and moldy drywall. About half the house and two of our four bedrooms were affected by the water damage, but we now are concerned that the entire home has been exposed to mold spores because:

-- The unaffected areas of the home were not sealed off (in fact, doors were opened so they could create better airflow) and no furniture or other belongings were covered with any protective material the first two days of demolition.

-- Belongings sitting on the wet/possibly moldy carpet of one bedroom were placed directly on top of the bed so they could tear out carpet and drywal in that room.

-- one worker removing drywall in another bedroom took a break and sat directly on that bed, which again was not protected.

-- most of the first day of cleanup the workers were removing drywall with bare hands and no breathing protection.

We voiced our concern to the insurance company and noticed that late in the third day of cleanup/demolition that the master bedroom had been sealed off with plastic sheeting taped to the doorway and that plastic sheets were covering furniture in the living room. We also received a call from the cleanup company apologizing and admitting that the crew didn't follow proper procedures.

Our main concern is that all contents in the entire home have been exposed to mold. The cleanup company says they will "make it right" with all our soft goods, although it is vague what "make it right" means.

Am I being overly cautious in our concern about exposure to the entire home outside the half that suffered water damage? We are very early in what looks like a two-month process before the home will be ready to stay in again. Any advice as we move forward would be much appreciated.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,784 • Replies: 0
No top replies