A game? A dream?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 957 • Replies: 9
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 04:54 pm
I'm trying to figure out what the rules are and whether or not I'm winning!
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 11:42 pm
The more one thinks or meditates the more intangible life feels as though brain tissue itself becomes more tenuous. It diminishes the sense of time and distance, ergo, existence. You feel as if you are reduced or enhanced (whatever your mood) to formless plasma skewed in your own continuum. Plato I believe would have felt this way many times. He was one of those easily inebriated by the abstract. Even I feel a certain release in beccoming thoroughly incomprehensible which is the only reason why I would submit anything here including this little post. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 08:13 am
The 'game' of 'existence' is a cross between 'solitaire' and 'chess'; a game of strategy, played alone in the midst of throngs of humanity!

It is a race about 'wisdom'; will you figure it out before it 'wears' you out?

The best we can do is play it honestly, with the full engagement of our intelligence, moderated by the 'wisdom' of our hearts; and played for the benefit of all, without a 'hint' of 'competition.

[You cannot 'win'! But it is a game that can be mastered!]
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:42 am
When I was young I often had the feeling I was the long dream of some Alien life force. I thought I was going to wake up one day and say 'Man! I had the WIERDEST dream - I dreamt I was HUMAN!'.

I have also thought that it might be a game a lot like curing cancer with radiation treatment. It is a race to see what kills you first - the cure - or the desease.

I agree and disagree with BoGoWo (which is more than I usually get with his posts Wink ) in that it is not a game to be won - but I am not sure it can be mastered. I think it is like a riddle by Xeno. We can get infinitly close to the answer - but there is still so much more to go. I feel this goes on forever.

I think, if there is a an afterlife - the growing continues there.

TTF
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:59 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
...............I think, if there is a an afterlife - the growing continues there. TTF

[if so, and if, as forecast (by those of questionable logical, and deductive skills), it is 'eternal'; we would have to look at it as a kind of "out of control" cancer, now wouldn't we?]
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2004 08:07 am
Knowledge as a cancer?

I think the growth would be eternal - but comparing knowledge to cancer would imply that knowledge by host - eventually does harm or kills the host.

BoGoWo: I don't think you attempt to gain knowledge to feed your cancer - I also don't think you view knowledge as a cancer. I suppose you could view it this way - I think it would be a pessimistic view of knowledge - and it would make me wonder why you are here on this board gaining more.

It sounds to me like an ad hoc attempt at viewing an 'afterlife' based comment in a negative way.

It also makes me want to ask an Nietzschean question - Have you given me your psychology here - or your philosophy?

TTF
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:15 pm
Knowledge can be viewed as a cancer because the more you know, the more you drift from happiness (link). Unless what you know is how to be happy.

As for the question... I've thought about it, it makes me feel somewhat uneasy, and because I'll never know for sure, I prefer not to think to much about it... I keep it everything as a possibility as to not be extremely surprised when this life or dream ends.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 10:41 pm
The wiser you become, the more knowledge you gain, the more you realise how futile the quest is and how the best thing to do is to try to ignore it and live as best you can regardless.

Dogs and folk with intellectual handicaps have mastered the game of life. A few philosophers have, as well, but a much smaller proportion.

Since we're nothing more than insane apes, you'd think we'd have a better chance of mastering life than we do. But it's the nature of our insanity that we try to make things much more complicated than they actually are.
0 Replies

lankz

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:21 am
ive always said to myself:
Life is a game, we are the pieces and the board is unknown.

I believe that if i can be on my deathbed, look back on life and say i did well, then i mastered the game. If i die in misery that i did not accomplish much, then i believe i would have lost entirely.
0 Replies