Adultery, Turkey and Europe

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 05:13 pm
I ain't got no ring in my nose yet, Hamburger . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 06:17 pm
the emphasis is on YET, is it ? someone is also going to win the war against the terrorists ? wishing everyone good luck and a good night. hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:19 am
Turkey's ruling party has reversed its decision not to introduce a proposal to criminalize adultery, Turkish media reported Thursday. As reported earlier, Turkey said Tuesday that it would abandon its plan to criminalize adultery after pressure from the EU.

Turkey is currently overhauling its penal code as part of its efforts to become an EU member state. According to reports by CNN Turk and NTV, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has proposed replacing the word "adultery" with "sexual infidelity," saying that proposal would protect families and women who have been wronged by their husbands.

Quote:
Turkey still weighing anti-adultery law
Despite EU protests, ruling party reportedly to introduce measure

The Associated Press
Sept. 16, 2004

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey's Islamic-rooted ruling party was planning to introduce a proposal to criminalize adultery despite earlier statements that the controversial measure had been shelved, Turkish media reported Thursday.

The reported decision came only two days after the party said it shelved the proposal following protests from women's groups and warnings from the European Union that such a law could jeopardize the country's chances of joining the European bloc.

According to private television broadcasters CNN-Turk and NTV, the ruling party would replace the word "adultery" with "sexual infidelity" in a new proposal.

The proposal was part of a major overhaul of the mostly Muslim country's penal code undertaken as the 25 EU states prepare to decide by year's end whether to begin talks on Turkey's membership.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed it would protect families and women who have been wronged by their husbands. Opponents claimed it was a bid to appeal to Erdogan's conservative, devoutly Islamic base and would be a step backward for women's rights.

The penal code package, which lawmakers began debating Tuesday, includes harsher punishment for rapists, pedophiles, torturers, human traffickers and women who kill children born out of wedlock. It also makes crime of rape in marriage and sexual harassment.

EU criticism
Supporters of Turkey's EU bid say the measures would help the cause of Europeans vehemently opposed to the predominantly Muslim country of some 70 million people joining the 25-member bloc.

EU enlargement official Guenter Verheugen warned during a visit that the anti-adultery measure would create the impression Turkey's legal code is moving toward Islamic law.

"If this proposal, which I gather is only a proposal, in respect of adultery were to become firmly fixed into law, then that would create difficulties for Turkey," British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said Monday.

Details of the anti-adultery proposal have not been made public. Cicek said the measure would only be applied if a spouse complains. Haluk Ipek, a senior member of the Justice and Development Party, said Monday that adulterers could face six months to two years in prison.

Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:20 am
A summary of the amendments to the Turkish Civil Code is to be found >HERE<
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 10:59 pm
Instructing the turkish women to shave off their moustaches is a better way to reduce the level of adultery.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
australia wrote:
Instructing the turkish women to shave off their moustaches is a better way to reduce the level of adultery.

???
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 01:15 am
Einherjar

He's trying to protect Germany from the Muslim invasion. Might be here as well.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:10 am
There is a hostage situation in Greece with about 25 passengers on board. What are the odds of the terrorist being muslims?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:22 am
australia wrote:
There is a hostage situation in Greece with about 25 passengers on board. What are the odds of the terrorist being muslims?

One of your wild guesses?

And why should they want to have a plane for Russia?(They claim that they are ethnic Russians and want to fly to Russia by plane. Earlier police believed that the hijackers are Albanians.)
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:27 am
Tell me when you know who they are. My money is on muslims. At good odds 2:1
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:30 am
australia wrote:
Tell me when you know who they are.

Can't you read the news by yourself?

Besides, it's interesting that you obviously are more concerned in the religous belief of the hijackers and not at all, what happens to and with the hostages. Sad
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:34 am
well said walter
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 02:35 am
I am always concerned about the fate of the hostages.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:18 am
Greek TV channel ERT has just reported that the passengers in the hijacked bus in Athens are well. A TV reporter has spoke to relatives of passengers who have managed to call them. They have assured that there are no problems with hijackers at the moment.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 03:45 am
So far so good.

It would be a nightmare being in a hostage situation.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
Good news is that the greek hostages were let go unharmed.

All it said about the hostage takers, was that one of the men was called hassan. sounds a mussi name to me.

They are expecting a hotel bombing in indonesia any day now.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:46 pm
ohh Lord.....We'll just have wait and see the future mongrolization of Europe.
I'll just say that.
0 Replies

Proteinn

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:59 am
Hey, I am a Turk, born and raised in Turkey. I am against this adultery law bullshit, though. It is just a little scheme that our Recep is trying to pull in order to get the votes of our more fundamentalist conservative muslims... Oh how I hate religion! And the politicisation of religion, of course.

Anyway, have fun with your Turkey lovin/bashin.

Byez...

PS: I take care of a hotel in Sultanahmet, Istanbul, so if you are considering a trip to Istanbul contact me and I'll arrange some cozy little room for you. With sea view Wink
0 Replies