Hi-Def Antennas

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2004 09:14 am
I just had VOOM installed and it works great on the dish signal but the piggybacked what looks like a Terk bar type antenna for the off-the-air channels. I have called several times because I'm getting pauses in the sound, pixilization (digital anomolies) and total loss of signal, mostly on KNBC and KABC (who is, unfortunately, multi-casting on their bandwidth) and sometimes on KCBS. Channel 5 (who I understands loans antenna service for KNBC) comes in great with no problems. That's KTLA but I don't remember the network. KCET, LA's PBS station, is also okay with few low signals. I use the "re-aim off-air" antenna often and it does some good. My question, after shopping online for other antennas and having marginal luck, is does anyone have any info on hi-def antennas which are good for 80 miles ?(my approximate distance from Mt. Wilson). I guess I might have to call a local service shop and find out about changing the antennas.

BTW, when I had cable, these same channels had some dropout and loss of service so I'm inclined to believe these stations just are not technologically up-to-date sending out over-the-air hi-def signals (which could be their satellite signal). Cable also picks those channels up with an antenna.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,559 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:31 pm
Does anyone have any information?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
Radio Shack actually sells a very good HD antenna, store brand. I'm using a Channel Master standard rooftop antenna and get great signal strength from Sutro Tower, 50 miles away. Still, there is some digital dropout and pixilization at times. Weather can affect it. So can heat (rising air currents).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:20 pm
Hmm. I cannot find the antenna I spoke of at Radio Shack's website. I'll look around.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:28 pm
Here it is!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_003_001_002_000&product_id=15-2185
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:13 pm
Thanks, guys! I found the squeaky wheel again gets results. After two tech visits, VOOM relented and will be here Monday with an upgrade. The last tech informed me if I wasn't getting reliable service that VOOM was responsible for upgrading the antenna for the off-the-air channels. He tried to get ABC, Channel 7 cleared up by moving the antenna one degree but then it made CBS and WB (KTLA 5 in Los Angeles) spotty. The problem is that all this occurs during the hi-def broadcasts which are seldom during the day except for PBS. Their buck-passing finally turned up a counterfeit.

There also upgrading the dish as I was getting way too many losses of signals in the recent rainstorm even though they warn you that the satellite signal can be interrupted by severe weather.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:15 pm
I'm a bit better off, cjhsa, as I'm only 30 miles in a straight shot towards Mt. Wilson.
0 Replies