Real Stone or Resin?

DonjiaW

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 03:47 am
We bought a unit door which has been described as being real stone. See below the description in the brochure, translated from Italian:

'Rock of homogeneous fine-grained metamorphic rocks generated, derived from original stones of sedimentary, composed of clay and volcanic ash. The result is a natural rock sheet of ever-changing tone for the different layers of stone.'

The door looks completely different in texture from the one in the showroom and in our less than knowledgeable opinion, looks and feels like resin. We did a heated pin test and it easily penetrated the surface. Would this be possible, taking into account the description above, if this were real stone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 406 • Replies: 6
No top replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2016 08:34 am
@DonjiaW,
If it was stone, a heated pin would NOT penetrate the surface.
I think your confusion comes from the translated description. The stone powder used in the construction of the door is undoubtedly derived from real stone, it's just encased in resin.
DonjiaW

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 02:32 am
@TomTomBinks,
Thank you for clarifying
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2016 03:36 am
@DonjiaW,
thats always a greaat test especially if you got a plstic or resinous smell.

Im not familiar with stone doors except in small cabinets and cement doors in blast compartments I imagine that the metamorphic rok is encased in oorder to protect it and keep it from relaxing when its hung .
0 Replies

farmerman

@DonjiaW,

Im not familiar with stone doors except in small cabinets and cement doors in blast compartments I imagine that the metamorphic rok is encased in oorder to protect it and keep it from relaxing when its hung .
0 Replies

farmerman

@DonjiaW,

DonjiaW

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 07:22 am
@farmerman,
I am hoping that is the case and I have not been ripped off with a resin copy, as it was really expensive. This is a unit door and I really wanted to confirm it does contain rock so I expect I will have to have it professionally tested.
0 Replies