Zen Holy War?

dauer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:07 pm
I've been told many times and taken for granted that Buddhism is an entirely peaceful religion. Today, I was bored. In my boredom I decided to start googling up Buddhism and its potential active role in war or killing. The idea seemed silly to me, but that's probably why I looked it up.

I found something.

http://www.darkzen.com/Articles/zenholy.htm

It's written by a Western Buddhist. It's an extensive book review. He's very accepting of History and makes no apologies for the actions of these others. In fact, he seems to endorse the spreading of this information among others. I found this and thought I'd share, and I was hoping to hear from some of the Buddhists on the board who may or may not know about this period as to how they deal with this and if they feel this is different than the Crusades or the Inquisition.

Quote:
"If you see the enemy you must kill him; you must destroy the false and establish the true - these are the cardinal points of Zen. It is said further that if you kill someone, it is fitting that you see his blood."

--Harada Roshi
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,409 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:34 pm
Certain Buddhist priests urged young Japanese to join the Army and conquer during the 1930's. This isn't widely talked about, and has been a matter of some shame that many Japanese would like to forget. It was an abberation, and very atypical.

There are other embarrassments as well. Buddhist priests were known to participate in some battles during the time when Japan was isolated from the rest of the world. It was not at all uncommon for samurai warriors to be Buddhists. Some of the most celebrated ascribed their martial skill to their tranquil mental state achieved by meditation. Buddhists have served with honor and distinction in most of the armies of Asia, though conflicts waged for religious reasons by Buddhists are exceedingly rare.

Violent conflict has occurred from time to time between competing Korean Buddhist monasteries and sects. Similar conflicts have occurred elsewhere, but nothing that I know of in recent history. Over the history of Buddhism there has been remarkably few Buddhist conflicts. There have been even fewer Jain conflicts and Philosophical Taoist conflicts are equally rare. Compared to the religious wars associated with the Abrahamic faiths, these religions with Asian roots are positively pacific. While there aren't many Buddhist religious wars, Buddhists have participated in wars waged for other reasons without odium.

I'm a long-time Buddhist, and take my religion very seriously. I am also regarded, with justification, as a political conservative. I served in the military and for many years with the police. I support the use of military force in appropriate situations, and believe that the United States is currently justified in using military force. Not all Buddhists would agree with my position, nor should they. Buddhists are really not much different from anyone else, and anyone who claims otherwise should be viewed with suspicion.
0 Replies

coming

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:40 am
No such thing as peace
Great article. I agree with Asherman that Buddhism is just like any other religion. It has its dark side. Maybe the Pope is right not to recognise Buddhism as a religion when some of its sects refuse to exam itself.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
Buddhism IS a religion, and we "don' need no stink'n Popes" to make it so. The bottom-line is that the Abrahamic religions hold doctrines that are hostile to religons springing from different roots. The histories of Christianity and Isalm are knee-deep in gore, and even today most of the religious strife in the world springs from these two nightmares.

Buddhism, on the other hand, has a history almost devoid of religious violence, and religious violence IS against the fundamental doctrines of all Buddhist sects and schools. Buddhism is quite different from Christianity and Islam, but its followers are of the same human stock. Shocking isn't it, that Buddhism can not eliminate the causes of war?
0 Replies

blueSky

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 03:51 pm
War
Interesting observation Asherman.

I think conflict puts one into the present moment. There is a joy in conflict that is similar to a meditative moment. Warriors feel glorified and that (besides greed) is a reason why sometimes wars cannot be eliminated in spite of knowing their stupidity.

In eastern traditions they don't advocate eliminating the warrior (there is a legit need also), but glorify him only when he learns to meditate. I guess that explains the history of war there to some extent.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
It appears, Blue Sky, that you are also a Buddhist. Welcome to A2K, and to the circle of Buddhists here. There are many threads, especially in the Philosophy and Spiritual forums where topics of interest to Buddhists exist. I think you will find much to agree with in posts by folks like JLNobody, and others. We are frequently asked questions, often the same questions ad infinitum, and certainly welcome another Buddhist to help explain doctrines.
0 Replies

blueSky

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:17 pm
Thanks,

buddhist no, but I respect buddha and his teachings a lot. perhaps, I am a buddhist in that sense.
0 Replies