Have any of you ever convinced anybody over 8 of your POV?

Eccles

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:00 am
Just curious. Not the little things which aren't so important ( like watching a movie or getting pi$$ED at the pub ) but things which you are really passionate about> Things like your stance on abortion, your religion, etc. Just wondering whether it was possible.

ALSo note: if you threatened the person's life, or it was otherwise made under duress , don't count it.

Don't take this so seriously, blame it on fogginess. I didn;t sleep yesterday and it doesn't look like i'll be sleeping tonight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Jim

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:44 am
I couldn't convince a man dying of thirst to take a drink of water.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
my practice is to concentrate on eight year olds who have precisely the same 'world view', as myself; we usually discuss things in the midst of an "X" box game!

[when they are most vulnerable to suggestion!]
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:20 am
I believe that some have become Buddhists from knowing me. A graduate professor was overheard to say, "I never have Asherman in a class that I don't learn something new", does that count? When I was still in the world, a large part of my effectiveness was the ability to convince managers to modify their operations. Of course if they didn't show progress, then they usually paid a price. In politics, some of my harshest critics in time became loyal supporters.

I'm not so sure that "I" did any of that. I try to learn as much as I can, think about what it all means, and integrate knowledge into the way I live. When I most passionately argue a point, I seem to be least effective.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 01:47 pm
Actually, I conviced someone of my opinion on gun control just the other day. Funny you asked. Mostly it's not a matter of "opinion" per se, but of facts that not everyone knows.

In terms of actual belief, it's a personal thing, and I wouldn't try to convince anyone and no one would probably be convinced anyway.

In terms of convincing someone that some obscure and nerdy subject is interesting, I have no luck at all.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 02:57 pm
My parents...

Apart from them, I don't think so... I don't try to make people change, I just state my point of view and if someone changed it was because of example and I'm not aware of the change
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:54 pm
lol, Bogowo, I usually start when the kids are around three years old , it makes it a lot more difficult for other people to shake their convictions.

Joe, was that emotionally blackmailing your folks to buy you what you wanted, or allowing you to wear your choice of animal on your head? Razz Don't blame me, I'm sleepy

Rufio, if you found something nerdy and obscure, I don't you wouldn't be interested in it yourself enough to convince other people.

You folks are probably right, though, that it's more a matter of sharing your opinion ( providing your "facts") and then allowing other people to come to their own conclusions. Otherwise , you are just talking down to folks.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:12 pm
it's not much emotional blackmail.. but I did it without noticing it...

for example: they said I must keep my hair short and bothered me everytime it got kinda long... but through some discussions I made them realize it's not such a big deal
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:20 pm
It's good that you finally got them to respect your choice, then. I think that making your folks realise that you aren't a kid is an important part of growing up + parents always think that they own you.
0 Replies