Polar Bears

quinn1

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:27 pm
Anyone have facts on Polar Bears?

I heard an intersting fact and just cant seem to shake it out of my head for some reason...

Polar Bears are the only mammals not visible with infra red?

Why is this? What makes it so? Are there other quite interesteing things of these lovely bears I should know?
Do you know?
Would you share?

Please?

And Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,143 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:35 pm
I found all kinds of stuff here: http://www.geocities.com/mikepolarbear/trivia.html

They are so well insulated that it is difficult to detect them with infra red. Also <da da da daaaa>

All polar bears are Capricorns since they are all born in late December or early January.

Polar bear liver has a lethal dose of Vitamin A in it. Eat it and you will die.

Even though snow geese can't fly when they moult, a polar bear still won't eat them. If a 320kg (700lb) polar bear's spends any more than 12 seconds hunting a snow goose, more calories are lost hunting than there are in a snow goose. It would be like you running around the block for a cracker!

Polar bears are pigeon-toed.That means their toes point inward instead of straight ahead.

There's other neat things on that site too.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:42 pm
And here! http://www.polarbearsalive.org/facts3.htm#anchor766763

Alone among bears, the polar bear is considered a marine mammal.

Polar bears are champion swimmers. They have been known to swim more than 60 miles without a rest. The polar bear's swimming limit is not known.

Mother polar bears can be so protective of their young that they have been known to rear up and leap at helicopters carrying research scientists. Studies have shown that darted and tagged female bears consistently produce smaller litters and lighter cubs. If tagged in the den area, many pregnant females abandon the site.

Biologists believe that starvation is the leading cause of death for subadult bears.

Those polar bears that manage to survive to adulthood have learned to master the challenges of arctic life. The annual mortality rate of adult bears is surprisingly low--as little as five percent a year.

Despite what our eyes tell us, a polar bear's fur is not white. Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:45 pm
holly guacamole gal...now my heads really spinning

Thanks!!!

verra verra interesting bears!!!!
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:51 pm
I think I might change my signature to say "Eat it and you will die" with no explanation.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:52 pm
Yeah. That feels right. LOL
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:18 pm
The Polar Bears favorite food is the seal and it will sit a a watering hole for hours waiting for a seal to come up for air. The bear walks very softly on the ice so it's prey won't hear it coming. Polar Bears also do not hibernate like other bears do, they just take long naps. They are also the largest meat eating animal on land and spend almost their entire life on ice. They weigh over 1000 pounds and measure about 8ft long.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:22 pm
So, this is where Sugar is hangin out.....

A little late, but I already knew about the infa red thingy. I did NOT know about the Capricorn thingy (no wonder I love the cold!).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:16 am
Incredible all the infomation I was not awareof on these lovely bears...thanks all for sharing
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:30 pm
You're very welcome Quinn. I was just reading about them the other day and they really are pretty cool :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:34 pm
This is verra cool!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 11:50 pm
Didja know that bears (not just polar) are one of only two animals in North America that walk on their heels? All others, except man, of course, walk on their toes.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2003 02:47 pm
more interesting factoids...thanks!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 04:05 pm
Polar Bears
Hi quinn ~ more links for ya

http://www.polarbearsalive.org/facts.htm

http://www.polarbearsalive.org/
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 04:33 pm
In the late 60's two family friends, Fred Bear and Bob Munger, filmed an ABC special that followed Fred on his attempt to take a polar bear with a bow and arrow (he owned Bear Archery). Well, they had a heck of time even finding a bear, and finally they had to lure one in with a dead seal. Fred got his bear.

When the show aired, it did far more to advance conservation and protection of wildlife, than it did to promote exotic hunting trips to Alaska, which was Fred & Bob's intent. It really turned around and bit them in the ass, so to speak.

Mind you, polar bears were not an endangered, protected species at the time. They did nothing illegal.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:18 pm
Here's a beauty:

Only female polar bears can be tracked using radio collars. Male polar bears have necks wider than their heads, and the collars simply fall off.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 05:41 pm
Mr. Stillwater thanks..that is certianly interesting.

cjhsa...in the 60's lots of things were different Wink Thanks.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 06:06 pm
"But when Quinn the Polar Bear gets here
Everybody's gonna jump for joy

Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn"

apologies to Bobby Dylan
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:46 pm
it was only time before someone figured that one out...
bravo to ya
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:47 pm
Wow! So many facts! A gal can't keep up! This is so cool!
0 Replies