Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 10:32 am
Last week the World was robbed of a very beautiful, compassionate and talented politician. And two young children were robbed of their mother. There are other threads on this topic, but none of them are about Jo and the person she was. This thread is a tribute to her, so no politics or gun control stuff please.

Quote:
The Labour MP Jo Cox, who has died aged 41 after being shot and stabbed in her constituency of Batley and Spen, in West Yorkshire, was a woman who in many ways represented the character and style of the modern Labour party. She was widely viewed as someone who could have been a serious player in the party in the years to come.

Cox combined academic achievement with political experience, but she threw into the mix an understanding of the Labour movement, a profound concern for the issues that affected the country and a personal heritage that qualified her for a career on the frontbench.

Elected to the House of Commons last year, she was inordinately proud of winning in her birthplace. She was born Jo Leadbeater in Batley, one of two daughters of Gordon, a cosmetics factory worker, and his wife, Jean, who was a school secretary. Jo herself worked in the same factory as her father, packaging toothpaste during the holidays, having gained a place at Pembroke College, Cambridge, where she took a degree in social and political studies.

In an interview she suggested that her experience at Heckmondwike grammar school had not prepared her for life as an undergraduate at Cambridge. She readily acknowledged that she had not grown up in a political tradition and she had no understanding of how her birthplace and background would be viewed. “I didn’t really speak right or know the right people,” she said. The experience was quite startling for her, but it equipped her for her future: she would say later that joining the Commons was like “a walk in the park” in comparison.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/jo-cox-obituary

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 10:58 am
@izzythepush,
I have recently learned about her, have read quite a bit in a short time. Good woman, gone way too soon. I'm glad people came together to mourn her.
I will just read along.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 12:55 pm
@ossobuco,
That's the sad thing, most people only heard about her after she died.

Quote:
MP Jo Cox has been described as a "21st Century Good Samaritan" in a church service held to remember her life.

At St Peter's Church, Birstall - in Mrs Cox's constituency - the Rev Paul Knight called her a "fervent advocate for the poor and the oppressed".

The mother of two was killed in the town on Thursday, and a fund set up in her name has exceeded £700,000.

Her husband, Brendan, posted on Twitter to say he had taken their children camping in their mother's memory.

"Jo loved camping. Last night the kids & I camped in her memory & remembered the last time we were all woken by the dawn chorus," he wrote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36569937
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
So sad for them, but that was a wise thing for them to do.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 01:26 am
@ossobuco,
You need to do something like that. When my wife died, (expected, after a long illness,) I took the kids to Spain. Not my favourite holiday. I don't know how easy it would be to cope with a sudden death like that, it must be incredibly difficult.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 05:57 am
Quote:
Politicians will return to Westminster later to pay tribute to Labour MP Jo Cox, who was killed in her constituency in West Yorkshire on Thursday.

MPs, who had been in recess for the EU referendum, have been recalled to the Commons to remember Mrs Cox, 41, who was described as "perfect" by her family. The Lords are also returning.

They will then process to St Margaret's Church for a short memorial service.
It had been suggested that MPs from different parties might sit together when they appear in the Commons later as a sign of unity.

On Sunday, the leader of the Commons, Chris Grayling, said "conventional party politics should be a million miles away", while Mr Corbyn told the BBC he was considering allowing Labour MPs to sit with colleagues from rival parties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36572968
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:11 am
She was a good friend to some Canadian politicians. Very highly thought of.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/06/16/jo-cox-nathan-cullen_n_10511768.html
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:52 pm
Quote:
Jo Cox was killed because of her strong political views, her widower Brendan has told the BBC.

The late Labour MP would want people to stand up for her beliefs "in death as much as she did in life", he told political editor Laura Kuenssberg.

He said his late wife, who would have been 42 tomorrow, was concerned about "coarsening" of the referendum debate.

He also spoke about the need to support their children to "make sure something good comes out of this".
A fund set up in her memory has raised £1m in donations while a series of events will be held around the country on Wednesday to mark what would have been her 42nd birthday.

Mr Cox said that his late wife - who was a passionate campaigner for human rights, international development and the plight of refugees during her parliamentary career and in her previous role working for Oxfam - "died for her views".

"She was a politician and she had very strong political views and I believe was she killed because of those views," he said. "I think she died because of them and she would want to stand up for those in death as much as she did in life.

"I don't want people ascribing views to her that she didn't have but I certainly want to continue to fight for the legacy and for the politics and the views she espoused.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36590824
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 04:33 am
Quote:
Events are taking place around the world to mark the birthday of killed MP Jo Cox.

The Labour MP and mother of two was shot and stabbed in Birstall, West Yorkshire, on Thursday.

Organisers said the events, on what would have been her 42nd birthday, would "show the world we have more in common than that which divides us".

Tributes are planned in New York, Paris, London and in Mrs Cox's Batley and Spen constituency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-36590032<br />
glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 12:57 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy, I was saddened to read this. Here in the US we have suffered many political murders and we never really get used to it. I know MP Cox was a rising star and I can only imagine how shocking this had to be for Great Britian. I wanted to reach out earlier but I'm still not completely free of the pneumonia. I tire easily and rest quite a bit, so I'm behind on the threads I usually follow.
I know it takes time but I hope her children learn to handle this, it's just so cruel their mother was violently taken away.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 02:12 am
@glitterbag,
What was particularly upsetting was Farage crooning over the referendum result and drunkenly saying that this was a victory achieved without a shot being fired. He knew exactly what he was saying, he wasn't that drunk.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 04:24 am
@izzythepush,
I think he chose his words intentionally. That doesn't sound like an accident to me. What a breathtaking display of craven and depraved.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2016 05:37 am
@glitterbag,
He really is horrible, our version of Trump.
0 Replies