A NIGHTHAWK AT MORNING

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:36 pm
A full tummy will do that to any self-respecting hawk.

Would the word "lumbering" apply?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 08:40 pm
yes, it was lumbering and laboring; a cumbersome, clumsy ascent...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:33 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
A few months back there was a hawk on the New England shore, which is normally native to Africa. I can't remember the species, but they said it was blown off course from Europe to the east coast of the US. Lots of bird watchers showed up to see it.

This made me think about Bald Eagles in Ireland. The following is a quote from the bird sighting list of the British Ornithologists Union:

BOU Report Committee, 25th Report wrote:

Bald Eagle Haliaeetus leucocephalus

Add to Category A of Northern Ireland List.

Juvenile near Garrison, Fermanagh, 11 January 1973, shot; specimen originally identified as White-tailed Eagle H. albicilla (Irish Bird Report 21:12; Irish Birds 5: 456).

This is the first record for the Western Palearctic of this nearctic species, which breeds across the Aleutian Islands, Alaska, Canada and the United States. There is a later record in Ireland of a juvenile captured, exhausted, at Ballymacelligot, near Castleisland, Kerry, on 15 November 1987.

The junvenile Bald Eagle was repatriated on an Aer Lingus flight in December of 1987. Can you imagine just how tired that bird was after crossing the Atlantic?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:51 pm
Setanta wrote:
The junvenile Bald Eagle was repatriated on an Aer Lingus flight in December of 1987. Can you imagine just how tired that bird was after crossing the Atlantic?

I hope they gave it a firstclass seat on the return trip. Smile

I'm trying to imagine what it's like... you're an Eagle, you should know where you are going, but maybe you ate some bad salmon or something and you happen to pick a stormy night. Now it's dark, you are off course, you can't see any land below you and your instinctive direction system says you should be flying down the east coast of the US with land toward your right hand wing. So maybe you turn right and fly for a while, but no land. You don't know it, but you're actually flying east, in the dark, over an ocean. After two days you're hopelessly lost, unable to land, and not designed like an albatross for long ocean voyages. I'm not sure Eagles are self aware enough to know fear in this situation, or if they just keep flapping relentlessly in an attempt to keep above the ocean until they find land.

There must have been a pretty good easterly wind to get it across the Atlantic. I wonder how long it was in the air? Maybe there was a particularly unusual storm over the Atlantic in November of 1987?
0 Replies