Your ID - Don't Go Anywhere Without It!

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 05:02 pm
Well, if anything is going to curb "abusive drinking practices" by college kids, its a toothless piece of legislation. (No Kennedys at the local levels of Guv'mint, huh?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 05:18 pm
fishin, Trying to curb alcohol consumption in any college is a stupid rule. Many college kids today are over 26 years of age, and they can buy beer by the kegs. Are they going to send a policeman with the kegs to make sure the consumption is legal? c.i.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:11 pm
Fingerprinting and retina scans eyed up for schools
SMH, January 14 2003 - By Sue Lowe

Schoolchildren may soon face fingerprinting or eye scans before they can use library books, photocopiers or even go on school trips.

The controversial technology, often used in prisons, could replace swipe-cards widely used in schools in Queensland.

Sandy Towell, from the company Intilligent, said their swipe-cards could even be used by pupils while outside school.

"We'd like them to be used on buses and trains students use to get to school," Ms Towell said. "One card will do everything."

However, the cards can be prone to theft, loss or abuse. "Occasionally a student uses their card to log another child in," Ms Towell said.

Fingerprint or eye-scan technology could overcome that.

Fingerprinting would require each child to place a thumb or finger onto an electronic scanner, the identity of the print would then be stored in a computer. The child would have to re-scan their finger each time they arrived at school or withdrew a book from a library.

Ms Towell said: "The technology is available now, but it is not something schools are asking for yet."

Not sure whether it will stop underage drinking tho!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:14 pm
Sounds like the kind of thing that would increase the need for underage drinking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:17 pm
pd, We already have that! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:21 pm
"I need a stiff grape juice and vodka after my play date / before soccer practice. Damn it! Who got fingerpaint all over the finger pad!"
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:35 pm
okay...I hear the outrage about the 76-year old man being carded.
Dumb? Yes...but:
I've got a nice kid living in one of my cottages with his now pregnant wife. They are probably 21 or 22. He works at 7-11 from the 3 pm to 11 pm shift (as well as doing other odd jobs). She is still working.
My undestanding is that, if he were to get caught selling booze to a minor: (1) the store can lose its license ; (2) he would personally be charged with a crime and fined; and (3) he would lose his job immediately.
Did I mention that the police periodically send in "customers" who,
at a quick glance, appear to be well over 21 but are, in fact, underage?
Carding a 76-year old? Obviously dumb. But sometime, particularly if you ar not a night-time person used to being in a public place late at night, sit in on the 11 pm-7am shift at a busy convenience store. It's pretty scary.
Thanks for reading this. Sorry for being long-winded and a bit off-topic. -rjb-
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:42 pm
realjohnboy, Criminal acts are a different ball game all together - whether in a convenience store or not. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 10:29 am
For cigs, Walgreens cards everyone!

Disgusting to card the elderly! Twisted Evil b
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 06:24 am
Lost wallet
The other day I lost my wallet, or rather, I tossed my wallet. At least that's the theory. I paid the pizza guy at the door, took the bag with the cokes and the pizza box to the kitchen. We ate and then I cleaned up, and threw the bag, empties and the box down the chute. Somewhere in there the wallet disappeared too.
Okay, so after we tore the house apart, it hit me. No wallet, no ID. No wallet, no driver's license. No wallet, no Amex/MC/VISA. No wallet/no MetroCard (which means no subway/bus) and no wallet, no ATM card, no ATM card -no cash. Shocked It's a modern world. Rolling Eyes

I am so glad I'm married, Smile I am so glad I'm married to someone who worries and nags about the paranoid possibilities of the future, Laughing I am so glad that because of that someone I had created a file with ALL my credit card numbers and expiration dates, AND the phone numbers to call to order replacements. Exclamation

My sweet honey, (who next month I'm taking to a secluded hideaway where there be masseuses.) :wink: had a spare MetroCard, (so did I, IN my wallet) and she has her own accounts at the bank, so we could get cash.

It still took over a week to get replacement cards, (I had to call and plead with the AirBorne Express guy to let me have the envelope from American Express without an ID. I told him that if he saw a fat white guy at the counter asking for the joenation envelope, that would be me. Luckily he and his supervisor have a sense of humor Cool ). I got over to License Xpress with my passport and ConEd Bill in hand to get a temporary license (tried first on MLK day-- closed) Sad , and I had to redo all the credit card info on all of the websites I use, rental cars, Barnes and Noble ad nauseum. Rolling Eyes
I paid for the pizza with my last twenty, so I didn't lost any money. I did lose a Pick-A-Bagel punch card that with one more sandwich would have been worth a free lunch. It could have been a lot worse. I might have been 76 years old and needed a cigarette.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 06:37 am
Joe Nation- What a wonderful story. I think that your wife deserves a big bouquet of flowers! Very Happy
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:27 am
Flowers + Drunk
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 11:18 am
Oh no, Joe Nation, not the Pick-a-Bagel card!

Seriously, I'm glad it all turned out all right, even though it was a pain to get everything in order again.
0 Replies