Your ID - Don't Go Anywhere Without It!

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:28 pm
OAK CREEK, Wis. (AP) -- Don Meyer was a little annoyed when a Pick 'n Save clerk here recently carded him in the liquor store.

He wasn't just upset because they carded him while he was buying nonalcoholic beer. He was upset because he's 76 years old.

"I tell you, I was really ticked off -- this little-by-little chipping away at your rights," Meyer said.

Meyer won't be the only senior citizen getting carded now that 11 Pick 'n Save stores in Wisconsin have begun requiring clerks to card everyone who tries to buy alcohol. Most alcoholic-beverage retailers ask for identification from patrons who appear younger than 30 or 40, but Pick 'n Save officials say they wanted to eliminate the chance of selling to someone underage.

"We've had a few complaints," said Robert Mariano, president and chief executive officer of Pick 'n Save's parent company, Round's Inc. "People may not like it but they understand what we are trying to do. We're just trying to do the right thing."

Milwaukee Attorney Michael A.I. Whitcomb, who represents many clients with liquor licenses, said he has never heard of a store carding everyone.

"Practically speaking, I see no reason to instruct employees to card the AARP crowd," said Whitcomb.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me it would be sufficient to ask for ID when someone appears to be under 30 or even 40. I think it's pretty nutty to ask senior citizens for ID. Not only that, but it was a non-alcoholic beverage! Rolling Eyes

chatoyant
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,508 • Replies: 32
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:42 pm
Many rules and regulations initiated by the government are just plain stupid. Who dreams up these rules, and applies them, can vary so much, it makes no sense. Sort of like the airport security guards asking if a stranger gave you anything to bring onto the airplane. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:02 am
c.i.- Pic & Save is not the government. If something is not illlegal, the store can do what it pleases. If that happened to me, I would take my business elsewhere, and make sure that the store knew why!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:16 am
Walgreens in Massachusetts is carding everyone. Nuts?

The elderly enter the pharmacy in wheel chairs, on walkers, on canes etc.
They want a pack of cigs. Why card people who are nearly 100+?

Why not THINK! Embarrassed
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:16 am
Have you even seen a visa form for the US ??

Some of the questions are (yes no types)

Do u plan to enter US for any terrorism activity ?
Do u plan to enter US for drug dealing or processing ?
Do u plan to enter the US for prostitution ?

Huh ??? As if we are gonna tell u that eh ??

And regarding ids, some days ago I went to a pub which was over 30s only, and the doorman wanted to see my id. I fell in love with him Laughing
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 06:20 am
Before treatment in an ER, the RNs ask numerous questions, such as "Do you take recreational drugs"? Another goodie, is "Do you think someone is trying to hurt you"?

Try and tell the RN what your problem is! They will tell you, to wait, they have a series of forms to fill out and THEY MUST BE FILLED OUT IN ORDER! ( even if this means you die while answering all the questions. Drunk
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:52 am
My mom passed out last week, and was taken to the E.R. Right in the middle of the tests that they were giving her, the smiling lady from the Financial Office came by, to make sure that the hospital got their copayment. Grrrr! Mad
0 Replies

chatoyant

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:06 am
I've known people with experiences like that concerning medical care, especially when being admitted to the ER. It makes one wonder if they're more concerned with getting money than the patient's well-being doesn't it?
Rolling Eyes

Gautam, I wonder if anyone has ever answered yes to any of those visa questions Exclamation
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:15 am
As they say justice is blind if I may I would add and also at times stupid.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 12:36 pm
Stupid rules, stupid results. c.i.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 01:23 pm
Phoenix:

I know how that must of felt. Now when I go to a MD at my HMO, I have to pay the co-pay immediately. The clerks get real nasty and if you have a question, they tell you to talk to the insurance co.

One fight after the other. What if you lose your insurance card? Will they let you die? Shocked
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 03:33 pm
That could be a bummer.... Some of these people are so crass, they may just let one die without proper I.D. Pretty sad, isn't it? c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:13 pm
Go into any store in OK that sells cigarettes and or alcohol and they will have a large sign at every cash register. The sign will read "We are required by state law to check the ID of every tobacco or alcohol purchaser that is under age 26."

The sigh is mandated by state law. Ummm.. How do they know if you are under age 26? Well.. they have to check your ID! If you are over 26 they can give you back your ID. If you are under 26 then they have to check again to make sure you are either 18 (to buy cigarettes) or 21 (to buy alcohol). One way or another, the stores are all mandated by the state to check everyone's ID (most still ignore it if you appear to be over 26 though).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:18 pm
I'm glad, the age limits here in Europe are 16 resp. 18 - so no-one askes me here. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:22 pm
I didn't get a driver's license until i was 32--although i learned to drive when i was 14. Could you imagine trying to live today without a driver's license?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:26 pm
It's tough. I only got my license ~5 years ago (bike plus bus worked fine in Madison, not so much in L.A.), and it was a major inconvenience to be without.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:48 pm
You can go to the DMV here in MA and get a "Majority Card" instead of a license. That is also accepted as proof of your age.. Except for when you want to buy alcohol. The state refuses to accept an ID that it issues as valid for that purpose!

Of course, in MA you are required to have a "valid MA license" as well. If you are from out of state they aren't supposed to serve you any alcohol - you don't have a MA license! How's that for intelligent laws. lol
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:51 pm
Huh. Weird.

I think it was Iowa where I had to enter my name and some other information into an official register when I ordered a beer in a restaurant (out-of-state license).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 04:55 pm
When they believe that you are 16, you get as much beer as you like here (nearly as much, I suppose).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 05:00 pm
patio - The law was put in place to curb "abusive drinking practices" by the college kids in Boston. By not allowing anyone with an out-of-state license to buy alcohol they figured that would keep a lot of these kids from getting any. It doesn't work but that doesn't stop the legislature from trying to look like they are doing something.
0 Replies