"Bruiser" Blair puts Berlusconi in hospital

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 12:59 am
LONDON (Reuters) - It's hardly the way to treat your host, but Tony Blair always plays to win.

The sports-loving prime minister tackled his Italian counterpart so hard in a "friendly" soccer game at their recent holiday get-together that Silvio Berlusconi needed hospital treatment for an injured knee, Sunday newspapers reported.

Berlusconi is still limping from the clash with Blair at a five-a-side game with aides on the lawn at the Italian's mansion in Sardinia earlier this month, they said.

But at least the right-wing Italian leader could see the funny side of his tough tackle by the centre-left Blair.

"It was the left knee," he reportedly told other patients at hospital. "I've always had problems with the left!"

Newspapers gleefully reported the incident under headlines like "Bruiser Blair" and "Chopper Blair".

One said Blair had personified differences in European soccer styles. "It will reinforce the stereotype of clumsy English footballers trying to shackle more cultured continentals," the Sunday Times commented.

Blair's Downing Street office declined to comment. "It was a private holiday, we don't discuss it," one official said.

link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040829/80/f1g4w.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,142 • Replies: 28
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:01 pm
Hmmm.... *spin, spin*

I don't really think that Blair could kick a ball, never mind a knee...

Still, he /is/ clumsy...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:35 pm
yes all praise the mighty reichsfuhrer blair...
long shall he reign...
what struck me as odd was yesterday i read an article in the news that the white house had rejected a request from the conservative leader michael howard because he had attack blair over iraq policy
now i find it really odd that blair and bush are thick as thieves when they supposedly are opposite sides of the political spectrum
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:04 pm
Howard didn't attack Blair over Iraq until after Hutton...

He supported it....

It was only the Lib Dems who were against it....

Yet, England has a selective memory Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:10 pm
huh are you still up at this time?
ive just got out of bed
i wasnt expecting a reply from you
that is shocking... Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:16 pm
Yep.. I'm going to sleep in a few minutes. My sleep patterns are wrecked...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:18 pm
hahaha you must have caught the bug off me...
enjoy it Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:18 pm
It's weird Very Happy... but cool

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:21 pm
yes it is and im glad you feel that way
believe my after a while you get used to it
imagine how it is for me... where no 2 days are the same..now that took some getting used to Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 04:35 am
Hey, Col! I got up now, so that I don't fall into the whole weird-sleeping thing... I enjoy it, but it can be quite dangerous to sleep during the day while travelling...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:00 am
far out only 6 hs sleep Smile
so where are you and where are you going today
r u on your way to hungary?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:13 am
and why is it dangerous to sleep during the day while travelling? isnt it more dangerous at night or just generally dangerous anyway?????
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:16 am
I mean dangerous because I purposely choose a night train that will either go where I want to go and stop there, or go around in circles. In Europe, you tend to see trains not tailing off; all the trains connect... and so, if you sleep in the day, there is a good chance that you will not end up where you want to go. I know a friend who fell asleep in the day and ended up in Milan. She was meant to be going to Vienna.

(Yeah, I am.)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:24 am
ok i c Smile
yes ive heard on this happening too Very Happy
i once got on the wrong train from leeds and ended up on the way to hull instead of on the way to york and i had to come all the way back again thankfully it was a short joureny so it wasnt too bad
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 05:40 am
When did you realise that you were on the wrong train? Did you have to stay on the train all the way to Hull, or did you get off at a station before that? Did you have to pay for that journey?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:48 am
Very Happy i realised i was on the wrong train when it went past my stop without stopping Smile
i didnt go all the way to hull i got off at some other place the name which i cant remember now and caught a train bakc
oddly enough right now i cant actually remember wether the return train stopped at the station i originally wanted or wether i had to go back to leeds and then get another train out
it was the same line you see for hull and york they forked at some point but the station i wanted was served by both its just the trains didnt always stop at the station i wanted and the one i got was one of those ones...
im sure if i meditate on it i can bring up details
i dont think i had to pat no i was only 12-13 and the guards took pity on me
it wasnt such an expensive journey in them days anyway

i see there was one of those strange group conversations last night while i was asleep
some other poor bods from a2k were sucked in too
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 04:03 am
Where is the strange group conversation, Col?

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 04:04 am
O, I thought that it was when you were older. Do you reckon that, if you were eighteen, they would have charged you for both fares?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:28 am
the strange group conversation was on msn again.....
and involved the troll, the spanish henchman, one or two unwitting a2k members. someone who may or may not of been you, who had your username on msn but wasnt acting like you at all..i suspect foul play...
there was loads of people, loads of em, maybe 15 at one point....
someone called nicky, someone called mark...some one called a.d.i.m.a.s. or something and someone called liberty who seemed to know you but was calling you another name beggining with h......
oh you mysterious person you Wink
also the troll was called 'the bomb' and people were calling him by his br... name he seemed to hate this liberty person and im sure he was calling you the poetry b****(rude word)
of course i have it all logged if you want to see it......
hmm this gets stranger and stranger you know d......

it doesnt bother me too much, i know what people are like.....
in fact i find it all quite intriguing
these people seem very immature though

as for the train incident
well in life i have found when i truly appeal to someones conscience and soul for a genuine reason they usually let me off anything
so i think no matter what age i was i could have done the jedi mind trick on the guard
sometimes they dont even see me and never ask me for the ticket which i dont have.... but invisibility is a skill i shouldnt talk about... as its secret.. and of course its impossible to do without years of meditation and spiritual training.... Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:31 am
i remembered the name of the place i got of at was called south milford
and i think i managed to get a train back that stopped at my stop which wqs called cross gates
which is near where my parents live in leeds
i remember cos id just got this role playing gane called traveller which was a space role playing game i was into that sort of thing when i was younger you see dungeons and dragons and the like
i even went live role playing once that involved dressing up as knights and hitting each other with rubber swords that was very strange..
ok well your not here at the mo ill see ya later on
0 Replies