Would it be better if the sentence starts with "The year 2016"?

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 12:29 am
The evolution of opposition politics

2016 has brought with it some of the hottest temperatures on record. Along with that, we’ve seen tempers rise and egos inflated to rarefied levels , especially during the Sarawak state election. Ugly attacks, underhanded tactics, and the constant infighting in Pakatan Harapan plagued the process, making the election seem like a rank, dirty chore instead of a celebration of democracy.

Would it be better if the sentence starts with The year 2016? Or is it unnecessary?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,297 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:06 am
Prefixing the year in figures with the words "the year" is optional but not compulsory. Some style guides advise against starting a sentence with figures, because, they allege it is "untidy". It is likely that published material such as a news report is required to adhere to a standard style, and "the year" takes up less space than "twenty-sixteen".
roger

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:27 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I hate starting a sentence with figures. I capitalize the first letter, and have no idea what an upper case 2 looks like.
0 Replies

kency123

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:05 am
@tanguatlay,
I agree starting 'The year' is better. Call me precious, but I find figures at the start of a sentence a bit uncomfortable on the eye.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 03:44 am
@tanguatlay,
It's not compulsory but if you use "the year 2016" in the beginning it will make the sentence more effective.
0 Replies