Parole before 30 years in "30 to life"?

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 10:24 am
Hello everybody! First of all thanks in advance to whoever will be able or will try to help me out on this!
My question is: If someone is sentenced to "30 to life" for first degree murder (In NJ for example), is it possible that he's released on parole before the minimum term of 30 years?
I'm writing a book and the murdered is sentenced in New Jersey and in that state, apparently, there is only differentiation between first degree murder (30 to life) and manslaughter (5 to 10), there's no middle ground... I want him to stay in prison for murder but i don't want him to stay 30 years...
Any help?
I can provide more informations about the homicide and the story, if needed.
Thank you very much!!!!

Riccardo

neologist

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 12:32 pm
@Rickdago,
State laws vary. Perhaps Jespah can help.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 01:11 pm
@Rickdago,
Rickdago wrote:

Hello everybody! First of all thanks in advance to whoever will be able or will try to help me out on this!
My question is: If someone is sentenced to "30 to life" for first degree murder (In NJ for example), is it possible that he's released on parole before the minimum term of 30 years?
I'm writing a book and the murdered is sentenced in New Jersey and in that state, apparently, there is only differentiation between first degree murder (30 to life) and manslaughter (5 to 10), there's no middle ground... I want him to stay in prison for murder but i don't want him to stay 30 years...
Any help?
I can provide more informations about the homicide and the story, if needed.
Thank you very much!!!!

Riccardo

Check out this site:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-121033.html

It appears NJ follows the rule that a person convicted of a violent felony must serve at least 85 percent of his sentence before he is eligible for parole.

There was also discussion, due to overcrowding in prisons, the rule might be reduced to 65 percent. The information on that site is old, so you may want to conduct further research.

At any rate, you're the writer and the master of your own world of fiction. Perhaps, in your novel, the state might initiate an early release pilot program as a means to ameliorate overcrowding and to study whether program participants can be successfully reintegrated into society. Perhaps your character might be one of the lucky prisoners chosen to participate in the program.
0 Replies