You're just a fink, Oklahoma. Oklahoma, not OK!

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 10:44 am
Oklahoma just passed a law making it a felony for a doctor to preform an abortion:

Quote:
"Under the bill, doctors who perform an abortion could face three years in prison, and lose their medical license. There are no exceptions for rape or incest β€” only the mother's life. Oklahoma lawmakers passed the measure with no debate. The only doctor in the Senate β€” a Republican β€” voted no, calling it 'insane.' "

How long will it be before there are no ob/gyns in Oklahoma?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,953 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 11:19 am
it's the new home of craziness

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oklahoma-lgbt-idUSKCN0YB1Z0

Quote:
Oklahoma introduces measure to impeach Obama over bathroom rights
boomerang

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 11:55 am
@ehBeth,
It sounds like they've gone over the edge.

I lived in Oklahoma for several years and still visit there once in a while since Mr. B has family there. For the most part, the people I know there are sane and fair and reasonable. I don't understand how/why they're electing these people to represent them.

It really makes me wish there was a reasonable moderate Republican running for president to show everyone you can be a conservative and sane. Kasich seemed like he wanted to be that guy but his voting record betrayed him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 12:48 pm
I no longer look for explanations to this kind of thing. We have to push back as hard as we can and try to get somebody better elected.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 02:35 pm

Quote:
Oklahoma Republicans want President Obama impeached, even though it’s futile

No, states can't actually impeach U.S. presidents. But Oklahoma Republican lawmakers are urging Congress to take up their cause. Reuters reports the Republican-denominated state legislature filed a measure Thursday calling for Obama's impeachment over the administration's recent recommendations that public schools accommodate transgender students in bathrooms.

Lawmakers argue the president overstepped his constitutional authority with that directive. The White House directive was "bibically wrong," state Rep. John Bennett (R) said in a statement, according to Reuters, adding that it violated state's sovereignty.

So for the second time this week, Oklahoma lawmakers will be doing something with almost zero practical purpose -- but make a statement in doing it.

Why are they doing all this? What does their "statement" even state?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 04:15 pm
Whee things stand now:

Governor Fallin vetoes bill that would make performing an abortion a felony.
https://www.kfor.com/2016/05/20/gov-fallin-vetoes-bill-that-would-make-performing-an-abortion-a-felony

Quote:
One day after lawmakers passed a bill that would make performing an abortion a felony, Gov. Mary Fallin decided to veto the measure.
On Friday, Gov. Mary Fallin vetoed the measure saying the bill was "vague" and "would not withstand a criminal constitutional legal challenge.".

...Fallin wrote "In fact, the most direct path to a re-examination of The United States Supreme Court's ruling in Roe v Wade is the appointment of a conservative, pro-life justice to the United States Supreme Court." .

So in essence her bottom line is she wants the measure; but, she'd rather let it runs its course and get a rewrite from the Supreme Court, a court she is hoping will have a more conservative slant.

ARGGGHH! makes me want to scream.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 04:29 pm
@ehBeth,
I had a forced day off from a2k and news sites (coffee on keyboard, I know better..) and caught up with some older New Yorker magazines, one of which had this article:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/11/23/conversion-via-twitter-westboro-baptist-church-megan-phelps-roper

That conversion took a long time. I think it happened when she was about 30, many pages into an astounding article. Well, astounding to me.
0 Replies