Unindicted Coconspirator

gollum

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:34 am
Sometimes a district attorney or other law enforcement official names a specified person as an unindicted co-conspirator in a(n) alleged crime.

Why doesn't the official either indict the person or not name him/her?

I think law enforcement may not have sufficient evidence to prove guilt in court. If that be the case, why is it permitted to make such a naming, which would likely damage or even destroy the named person's reputation and ability to obtain employment, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 578 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 02:28 pm
@gollum,
Not a lawyer, but I'll take a guess. Perhaps there was an agreement that the unindicted co-conspirator will give evidence against the defendant as long as the DA doesn't charge him?
gollum

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 03:14 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers-

Thank you.

I don't think that is the correct answer.

The case that brought this issue to my attention was aides of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie are charged with deliberately causing traffic delays on the George Washington Bridge.

Certain additional persons are unindicted co-conspirators. One of the unindicted co-conspirators has gone to court to try and stop the publication of their names.
0 Replies