How could a good God allow suffering?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:05 pm
Suffering is necessary because god is a parent teaching his kid a lesson? Did somebody say that?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CMdhm9mCWTk/maxresdefault.jpg
http://www.theplaidzebra.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/4_Photos-of-children-that-shook-history.jpg
Glennn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know, right? One would think that not surviving the lesson would be counterproductive to the learning of the lesson. But it's possible I might be missing something. But I don't think so.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Suffering is necessary because god is a parent teaching his kid a lesson? Did somebody say that?
Not here
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:50 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
. . . Your conflation of the various definitions of "god" confuses your interpretation of that passage in 2 Corinthians. Its result is word salad.
I am sorry to have confused you with the idea that there could be more than one definition for the word 'god'. I thought the phrase "god of this world" would be self explanatory.

What's confused is your conflation of the different meanings of words in your interpretations, as if they could be used interchangeably to mean everything they do all at once. That's what makes your explanation if the phrase "god of this world" incoherent.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:54 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
He's allowing it, all the same, however. That makes him bad.
ctd15 wrote:
But if it wasn't for our disobedience He wouldn't have allowed it.
Interesting point of view. . .
So when a parent allows his child to undergo a painful life saving operation, you may rightly declare the parent evil.

I'm glad I ain't your kid. . .

A mortal parent is not analogous to a creator deity. Your analogy is inept.

Your rationalization of the suffering that this god allows does not negate his badness.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:56 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
Not here

Then, what, exactly, did you mean by this:
"So when a parent allows his child to undergo a painful life saving operation, you may rightly declare the parent evil"?
neologist

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
edgarblythe wrote:
neologist wrote:
Not here
InfraBlue wrote:
"So when a parent allows his child to undergo a painful life saving operation, you may rightly declare the parent evil"?
My question to you: Do you judge a parent evil when they permit such an operation?

It's not a hard question. Many folks have had to endure the pain of their child's suffering in the hope the child will live free of some debilitating or life threatening condition.

Speaking of conflation! Edgar's post was about teaching a lesson.

So, is a parent evil if he allows his child to suffer some painful medical treatment?

Ball is in your court.
neologist

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
He's allowing it, all the same, however. That makes him bad.
neologist wrote:
Interesting point of view. . .
So when a parent allows his child to undergo a painful life saving operation, you may rightly declare the parent evil.

I'm glad I ain't your kid. . .
InfraBlue wrote:
A mortal parent is not analogous to a creator deity. Your analogy is inept.
Your rationalization of the suffering that this god allows does not negate his badness.
Are you saying the creator should intervene and make all suffering go away?
NOW?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:35 pm
Oh sure, "he" should wait until next week--reduce the surplus population of starving children.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:24 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
neologist wrote:
Not here
InfraBlue wrote:
My question to you: Do you judge a parent evil when they permit such an operation?

It's not a hard question. Many folks have had to endure the pain of their child's suffering in the hope the child will live free of some debilitating or life threatening condition.

Speaking of conflation! Edgar's post was about teaching a lesson.

So, is a parent evil if he allows his child to suffer some painful medical treatment?

Ball is in your court.

I've already addressed your inept analogy here. You're arguing in circles.
0 Replies

Eliusa

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 03:24 pm
@ctd15,
So if humans weren't sin they would be as god himself.
Possible? I don't think so.
0 Replies