Tasteless toy recalled.

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:35 pm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/27/national/main639056.shtml

Apparently, some manufacturer made a plastic airplane toy hanging between 2 towers and labeled the toy, "swing toy." It seems to be deliberate, but its purpose is obscure. Was it supposed to frighten/terrorise children? Or their parents?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 869 • Replies: 15
No top replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 10:00 pm
I don't know how to copy the photo, but here is the whole article. The photo of the toy is a bit unsettling to me as an adult, but I doubt that it would affect a small child the same way.

Quote:

A wholesaler in Miami is recalling 14,000 bags of candy containing this toy that shows a plane flying into the twin towers on Sept. 11, 2001. (Photo: CBS/AP)

"I hate to blame the importer. He probably did not know what he was getting. He brings them in 40-foot containers. But whoever made it knew exactly what they were making."
Luis Pedron, Lisy Corp.

(AP) Small toys showing an airplane flying into the World Trade Center were packed inside more than 14,000 bags of candy and sent to small groceries around the United States before being recalled.

Lisy Corp., the wholesaler that distributed the candy, said Friday that the toys were purchased in bulk from a Miami-based import company.

The toys came in an assortment purchased sight unseen from L&M Import in Miami and included the toys depicting the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the twin towers, whistles and other small toys, said Luis Pedron, Lisy's national sales manager. The invoice said the toy was a plastic swing set.

"I hate to blame the importer. He probably did not know what he was getting. He brings them in 40-foot containers. But whoever made it knew exactly what they were making," Pedron said.

Pedron said Lisy did not notice the small plastic figurines until two people complained, but there is no mistaking what the toys represent: At the bottom of each is the product number 9011.

"When we found out what happened, we recalled them immediately," said Pedron, who said the toys do not reflect the company's view. "I was offended by them."

The company's 100 distributors sent out the candy bags. Most are sold to small Hispanic groceries, Pedron said. He estimated about 90 percent of the bags have been collected.

Anna Rodriguez, who bought a bag of the candy for her grandson, said she was stunned when she saw the toy.

"It makes me angry," she told television station WFTV. "I was offended because I couldn't believe that someone would give something like that to a kid."

Pedron said he is saving the toys to return to the distributor.

A woman who answered the telephone at L&M and refused to give her name said Friday she did not know anything about the toy.

©MMIV, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
That is simply horrible.

If I were the powers that be, I'd give a close scrutiny to the manufacturer of that offensive thing.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/common/images/story_image_pop.gif

Who would think of making something like that?!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:13 pm
(Damn; it doesn't load.)

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:17 pm
Looks like my Etch-a-Sketch! I loved that game!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:20 pm
I preferred paper, as all the sketches eventually had to go away...

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
That's the difference between us D, I like disposable art.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
Here is the picture
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2004-08/14004955.jpg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:59 pm
Very Happy Good one, Panz.

Is Lisy an American company?

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:59 pm
(by the way, thanks for finding a picture, V.M!)

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
I imagine Lisy is an A-Quaeda front. On a given day all the toys will blow up simultaneously.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:11 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
(by the way, thanks for finding a picture, V.M!)

I also tried to find something on the toy company called Lizy but couldn't find anything!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:21 pm
Hahahaha, Panzade Very Happy, you're on the ball.

I've found out that Lisy are the people who make the sweets... the toys are, apparently, made by someone else...

0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:26 pm
Look at the bottom of the toy bag, It looks like some candy is in there. I typed in Lisy Candy and found this, I don't know if they are connected.

Lisy Candy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:37 pm
I think that they are. What goofs, to go from choking children to giving 9/11 toys to them! Neutral!

0 Replies