If you knew then ...

snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I must be a bumptious busybody* too because I can't help but point out that you started the correcting of people in this thread. Ultimately I think everyone only sees the corrections they disagree with as officious and the ones they agree with "make their day".

*I mean it, why even say anything? Cause I'm a pedantic busybody, that's why!

Pedantic! That's the adjective I was searching for!!

(you're right - it's got to apply to me, too for commenting on the commentary... Actually, I don't think I started the sort of correcting commentary - someone commented first about free will and how it affects the hypothetical of the launch thread...)
chai2

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:38 pm
@snood,
Well for what it's worth snood, as I've alluded before, I very much appreciate your initial response to whoever made the "I wouldn't change a thing." platitutdes.

I saw it, and just quickly moved on, thinking as usual how someone has to eventually arrive with provincial polly anna-isms

If you hadn't said something, I wouldn't even have remembered it, but what the heck, I'm just throwing in my own 2 cents.

I can respect that someone feels the need to regurgitate some some essentially meaningless pap. I can respect even more when someone calls them on it. Thanks for being that person.

"everything that's happened made me who I am today, I wouldn't change a thing." Well, who's to say you could have been better?

snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 01:53 pm
@chai2,
Very kind, chai. Thanks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 02:44 pm
@chai2,
William Burroughs talked about a reporter asking him if he had any regrets. His response was barely a day passes without him regretting something or other, and he's asking about a lifetime.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 03:44 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
the "I wouldn't change a thing." platitutdes.

My position might seem, at first glance, to be this, but it's rather "I can't -- by definition -- change a thing, and I think it's neurotic and pointless to agonise too much over that, because my focus is on the present and future". Of course I look back and squirm over some of the things I did and choices I made, but I also wonder how many of the things I did and choices I made which I am proud of weren't so good really.

I wouldn't have: smoked so much marijuana, taken so much LSD, believed so much hippie crap, been so shy, doubted myself so much, blamed so many of my problems on other people (especially my father), married my first wife. However the 'wisdom' that allows me to say that only exists because I did those things and was those things and learned from them.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 06:40 pm
Well of course you can't go back and change anything. We all realize that. Were you actually thinking this was supposed to be something possible? I don't see any agonizing over anything.

This is obviously a fantasy thread.
snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 07:21 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Well of course you can't go back and change anything. We all realize that. Were you actually thinking this was supposed to be something possible? I don't see any agonizing over anything.

This is obviously a fantasy thread.

I don't think he thought this was supposed to be serious or even that anyone was going into a major public depression or anything else.

I think it's simply a case of someone unable to resist the urge to play thread daddy and caution us dull kids not to play with the dangerous imagination toy or we might hurt ourselves.
chai2

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:36 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

caution us dull kids not to play with the dangerous imagination toy or we might hurt ourselves.

And/or passive aggressively let us know that others may feel the need to change something, but nope, not me.

It's the same trait that compells some other people to let others know they "have the most important job in the world" because they have a kid. Or that they aren't perfect people, but have it all over the rest of us because they are "Forgiven" with a capital F. We all know what that means.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:43 pm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:45 pm
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:50 pm
I'm happy. No unhappiness here.

If I had a million dollars, I might spring for the double wide.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:57 pm
@chai2,
I'm just feeling annoyed that imagination and ifs were being stomped on (not by chai or snood)

Without imagination there's not much on offer
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 12:01 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
stomped on

Oh, come on! I see a lot of whining here ("the mean man stomped on our thread") by passive aggressive self-righteous jerks, who think they own this thread, and who should just go pound sand. Idiots.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 07:56 am
The same individual who offered this up:

Quote:
I see a lot of whining here by passive aggressive self-righteous jerks

previously contributed this sampling of gems:

Quote:
You learn how to live by making mistakes and being yourself. The knowledge you have later on is dearly bought.

Quote:
Given that nobody can actually go back to being themselves at an earlier time, such a "what would you do?" question actually examines how you feel about yourself now.

Quote:
"I can't -- by definition -- change a thing, and I think it's neurotic and pointless to agonise too much over that, because my focus is on the present and future".

I mean, just a series of preachy, know-it-all, pain in the butt (self-righteous passive aggressive?) stuff that can serve no other purpose but to advise people he apparently deems in need of his venerable guidance, or something.

Well while we're giving out our dime store therapy, here's my profound suggestion for this person - Stop trying to tell a bunch of adult strangers what to do, unless they ask for your advice. Peace.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 07:28 pm
@snood,
To get the thread back on track: If I knew our pedantry would have taken over this thread I would not have participated in it.....

Oh who am I kidding, I might not have participated in it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 07:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There is a lot of history that some of us remember. A person on this thread informed me I had brain damage, by pm. I saved it, as the description was so vile at quite some length.

I suppose I should have remarked but I wasn't in the mood.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 08:26 pm
If I knew then what I know now - I could have gotten professional help. Smile Mr. Green
0 Replies

rubbywilliams

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 11:32 pm
I would have a different educational career maybe not as I thought but something new.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 06:03 am
I would have won a lot more at the track.
Cinderellie74

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 07:37 am
As much as I would like to go back and change things or tell myself don't do something because of the outcome I wouldn't change a thing. I am who I am today because of what I went through back then.

But if I could change one thing and still be where I am today but better I would kick my lousy cheating ex to the curb before he brought a ton of BS to my doorstep. :-)
0 Replies