If you knew then ...

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I can't wait to start swimming again (have to wait a bit after knee surgery). For a while I rented an apartment in a resort for my office. I'd go to work early every day to swim in their heated pool and it was an absolutely fantastic start to the day, watching the sunrise while doing laps before work.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:52 pm
good advice from Reid Paley and his tune Lazarus in Brooklyn

If I had another chance
I’d do it just the same
Just wouldn’t do it
With you
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:53 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Loved it, saved it to my desktop. Serge made me laugh..
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 07:00 am
I wouldn't have gone to business school. The only thing I learned is that I
hate business.

I'd have spent more money and bought a newer house. Chez George has
been a good home, but it's one damn project after another.

I'd have ended a couple of going-nowhere relationships much earlier.

I would have sold that Wang Labs stock before it became very expensive
wallpaper.

I'd have gone to New Jersey to visit an old friend when I found out just
how sick he was. I put it off and he died before I had a chance to say a
last good-bye.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 08:26 pm
1. I would go back to 1968 and stay living in New York. There were a number of options I passed on that I wish I had pursued.
2. I would never have cultivated a drinking habit.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 08:52 pm
I delayed for far too long to explore further my cardiology problem (defib- pacemaker adjustment and cardio rhythm issues worked on by private care doc. I was very loyal to a certain VA hospital which is/was excellent in Cancer/hematology problems (I'm in remission from a rare blood cancer for 2 yrs now and I feel they literally saved my bacon).

Today I finally went ahead and saw an excellent cardiologist who specializes in electrical issues and got my pacemaker adjusted right. Immediately got rid of a daily dizziness issue I'd had that had worsened in the last 9 months. I had described the problem to VA cardio doc (they had a lot of doc turnover due to admin funding problems),

Doing the right thing for yourself in a timely manner can get you a higher quality of life right away. This literally improved right after I saw this doc. He knew what do. Things are good so far ...just doing normal non-heroic stuff.

So, the long winded answer connecting to the orig question is:

I would continue doing the biking and exercise I did as a 20-yr-old. I had been doing that until I saw age 51 and my health changed. Now I can continue in a modified way..doing biking and walking again with some regularity each week with less problems 'cause I had some courage and persistence.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 09:30 pm
@Ragman,
Very good to hear, Rags.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 02:26 am
@ehBeth,

Perhaps tried to survive at home until 18, as I will never stop remembering seeing my Father cry.

I don't have any regrets, it was wild, different, learn't the Hospitality Industry and loved it until 37.

See how I'm doing this differently? Wink Perfect time, made peace, grew up, had some discussions, Grandma was there and saw/heard it all, peace, then she passed away in her sleep that night.

Ferk. Well that's the time the ex-husband wrote " At 40, I knew all I wanted to do was ride my motor bike all day and night" should not have married him at 37, so glad I kicked his azz, have an amazing husband now.

Career. Who would have thought that passions can come back and make create a business at my age, if I knew that back then, I would have done more instead of going off into different fields/ areas. But alas, as long as it lasts as long as I can do it, creating is now my life.

Outback. I've always referred myself to an Aboriginal that being, bare foot, etc.. Love it. I grew up in the hills, we had a place by the river, I am now home where I belong...

PS, there is actually an Aboriginal hut, heritaged where I now reside, makes me wonder.

I'm happy with the progress in my life, I'm at the best stage of it. My honest only regret is those that i "meet" along the line no matter how I meet them, ie) in person or not, that I never get to "meet" I know that made sense to me, as I'm blonde.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 04:02 am
@ehBeth,
I would love to have been exposed to the research on attachment and trauma that is now the centre of my working life and done the reflective work I needed to do in order not to consistently bugger up romantic relationships. That would have helped with my anxiety too. And greatly improved the efficacy of my work.

Also I'd know that I am perfectly happy without a romantic relationship, too, only I'd have known it much earlier!

I fell into satisfying work that uses all my abilities pretty much by luck, so I am happy with that. I'd like to have known more about vicarious trauma so it wouldn't have affected me so much though. I have been utterly blessed in so many ways, generally speaking, with fantastic work colleagues who often shared my ridiculous sense of humour and flights of thought, so I'd change nothing there. I have been able to be my exceedingly odd self, often even with clients. There have been ridiculous amounts of laughter as well as blackness which has sometimes overwhelmed me, but I have always bounced back.

I'd have saved more too! I was programmed to expect to be well and truly dead by now and life would be easier if I had realised that was just a result of unconscious misinterpretation earlier.

All in all it's been a hell of a ride.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 04:04 am
@djjd62,
Djjd62. Ouch!
dlowan

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 04:11 am
@dlowan,
Wouldn't change the fantastic, weird, wonderful world of my friends.....would be less quick to dispense with some and way quicker to rid myself of others.

Happy with my love of and experiences with animals of so many varieties and personalities

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 11:20 am
Considering the illusion of free will, I question the efficacy of such subjective foresight such as "if I'd only known". Watch Leonard Mlodinow and you'll see for yourselves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0sLuRsu1Do
snood

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 11:49 am
@Chumly,
So much for whimsy....
If someone suggests sort of a thought experiment for fun, like "what would you do with a million dollars?" They're not asking for a treatise on the decline of the American dollar.
Lighten up.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 12:15 pm
If I "knew then", I wouldn't have cheated on my first girlfriend. I would, however have cheated lots on the second one.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 12:19 pm
@snood,
Quote:
So much for whimsy....

You can ask a question, but you don't get to dictate the type of answer you will get. Metaphorically rolling the eyes only makes a person seem petulant.

snood

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 01:55 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Quote:
So much for whimsy....

You can ask a question, but you don't get to dictate the type of answer you will get. Metaphorically rolling the eyes only makes a person seem petulant.

That's fair. And it might also be said that scurrying to make officious corrections make a person appear to be a bumptious busybody.
chai2

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 02:36 pm
@snood,
Thanks snood, that made my day.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:23 am
@snood,
http://oi35.tinypic.com/2aiplvr.jpg
snood

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 09:24 am
@Chumly,
lol
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 12:17 pm
@snood,
I must be a bumptious busybody* too because I can't help but point out that you started the correcting of people in this thread. Ultimately I think everyone only sees the corrections they disagree with as officious and the ones they agree with "make their day".

*I mean it, why even say anything? Cause I'm a pedantic busybody, that's why!