Profanity in A2K

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 06:27 am
No.

Smartarse.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
I had another 'post' in mind, but was afraid it would be bleeped.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:12 am
Strictly in the spirit of scholarship, the following is from Wikipedia:

History
**** is an old Germanic word, and appeared as cunte in Middle English and kunta in Old Norse. It has cognates in most Germanic languages, such as the Swedish and Norwegian kunta, Frisian kunte, and Dutch kut. Its original derivation is an Old Germanic stem kunton. See gonads, genital, gamete, genetics and gene.

**** has been in common use in English since at least the 13th century. It did not appear in any major dictionary of the English language from 1795 to 1961 (when it was included in Webster's Third New International Dictionary, with the comment "usu. considered obscene"). Its first appearance in the Oxford English Dictionary was in 1972, which cites the word as having been in use since 1230.

Although Shakespeare doesn't use the word explicitly (or with derogatory meaning) in his plays, he still has fun with it, using word play to sneak it in. In Act III, Scene 2, of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, as the castle's residents are settling in to watch the play-within-the-play, Hamlet asks Ophelia, "Lady, shall I lie in your lap?" Ophelia of course, replies,"No, my lord." Hamlet, feigning shock, says, "Do you think I meant country matters?" Then, to drive home the point that the accent is definitely on the first syllable of "country," Shakespeare has Hamlet say, "That's a fair thought, to lie between maids' legs." Also see Twelfth Night (Act II Scene V): "There be her very C's, her U's, and her T's: and thus makes she her great P's."

In a similar fashion, the British band The Sex Pistols recorded a song entitled Pretty Vacant, pronounced pretty vay-khunt.

Disclaimer: I have, of course, no control on the filter which censors the word spelled c-u-n-t. I think it silly, but i understand the necessity.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:12 am
Smartarse is not a "c" word...

So, tw*t is.. what... twit?

Keep your bleeping post in your bleeping jumper, clown.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:17 am
This article does not mention Geoffrey Chaucer, and i believe he used the word, in a variant spelling, in The Wife of Bath's Tale (one could have fun mispelling that!). I'll go check it out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:21 am
This is hilarious . . . i found the following at the "Christianity Today" website:

0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
Dung is questionable? How dull are we?

Called a teacher a bastard when I was a kid. Turned out that was verboten. I guess I'm an Aussie at heart.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:25 am
Love that Chaucer dude...thanks to my old professor for teaching me the Cunteaberry Tales. Mad read, it was. To paraphrase Shakespeare, is not even the Kuntiest Bitch still whelped from the same womb? When you prick her, if she is still a virgin, does she not bleed?
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 09:22 am
Did he count sigs too?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 09:47 am
If memory serves, the C-man was a pre-'net author.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:26 pm
There are some great words for that part of a woman's body!

I favour cunny....

But - I think we be skirting.

Perhaps time to move on?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:27 pm
Ahh cunny....Lady Chatterly
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:31 pm
I propose we lift the skirting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:36 pm
I so knew that was gonna happen....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 03:39 pm
The pitch...the swing...it's hit hard....going....going.....GONE!!
Touch 'em all Cav!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 04:00 pm
So touching indeed...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:49 am
Robert Browning wrote a poem (actually he wrote a truckfull, but we'll stick with just one) called 'Pippa Passes' that contains the lovely expression:

Quote:
"Then owls and bats
Cowls and twats
Monks and nuns in a cloister's mood,
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry"

One supposes that he thought that a twat was a sort of wimple for nuns. It does, however, make it high art and you'd be a total twat for thinkin otherwise......
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:55 am
I came across this deleted poem from T.S. Eliot's 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats'. I think he was drinking at the time:

The Literry Cat (I think he misspelled 'literary')

I have a cat who's quite literry,
which always makes me jittery.
the f---ing critter
is quite the shitter,
which leaves my weak heart all a-pittery.

I never even knew Eliot wrote limericks. The things you can find on the internet....it's amazing.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:01 am
There was a young lady from Nabia
Who could play a guiter with her......

<goddam censors!>
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:03 am
How much does it cost to move to Nabia?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Profanity in A2K
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:27:03