Enid Blyton still a favourite. For you, too?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:41 pm
I've re-read some children's books as an adult and been delighted. Other re-reads have made me cringe.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:09 pm
I know what you mean, Noddy. That's possibly why I haven't taken a sentimental journey back to EB's books, so much loved during my childhood. There have been many accusations that her books were racist & classist (is there such a word? Confused ). Id rather not reread them & spoil my childhood enjoyment, really. (I do remember a number of episodes involving "the gypsies" - always the bad guys!) But, hey, that's NOTHING compared to the allegation, years later, that Noddy & Big Ears were in a sort of <gasp> gay relationship! Laughing Razz
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:44 pm
Noddy says such speculation is unseemly--love is a private matter.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:57 pm
And so it is!! Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

stephibaby48

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:13 pm
anyone love and read "The Adventures of the wishing chair", "The Wishing Chair Again" or "Hello. Mr.Twiddle. They are my favourites. Im very lucky to have an Enid Blyton Misprint. I am 18 now and just started collecting her book....i only have about 40...all the ones i see are 2nd & hand have been scribbled in. but most of mine in good nik. anyone else collect Enid Blytons books?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:29 am
Wow, that's pretty amazing, stephibaby48! And you're only 18 years old? Surprised Hey, you sound far more of an expert that me! And you're going to make a very tidy little profit one day! The Wishing Chair stories are definitely familiar, but Mr Twiddle? Nah, I'm not so much an expert as you! Very Happy
0 Replies

stephibaby48

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:07 am
i started reading them when i was about 8 and mr twiddle was the first book i read. i loved it. you should definately read it msolga. im no expert at all...im actually trying to find out how much my misprint is worth so if anyone knows can u plz post it please. i also love the noddy collection. i have 4 small books and one big book with all stories in it. i also had a pencil case or two, a tin and a money box and a soft toy. lol....im quite sad. Also when i was about 10 i dressed up as Noddy for a dress up day at my primary school. I was a very very sad child LOL.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:24 am
Ah, stephibaby48, all children experience sadness!.... at one time or other. But books (especially the Famous 5, the Secret 7, The Faraway Tree, etc, etc ) helped make my childhood a much better place than it would have been, otherwise! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:46 am
I only ever read the adventure ones, the Famous Five, the other ones with the spaniel Loony or Loopy or something - I liked the idea of camping on islands with no adults and sorting out spies and suchlike! My younger daughter was addicted to them as well and still has her collection.

Never read The Faraway Tree or others, nor Noddy and his very good friend :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:27 am
Yes, the adventures, Vivian! In underground caves, with secret passages! On islands. In the country. (with cut lunches & lemonade!) And not an adult within cooee! Wonderful!Very Happy
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:22 am
And ginger beer. Never forget the ginger beer.

This thread is certainly a trip down memory lane. I grew up reading EB's books and, with two slightly older sisters, read all the boarding school books as well. Anyone remember "poor, spoilt Gwendoline?"

The first EB character I came across was Mr PinkWhistle; the book was titled "Mr PinkWhistle Interferes". Then came Noddy, The Famous Five, Secret Seven , Adventurous Four, Mallory Towers & St. Clare series - devoured 'em all.

I remember learning what an eclipse was. In one of the Adventurous Four stories, the heroes were being held captive by some primitive tribe and were released when one of their numbers' announced that he could "make the sun disappear".

And in a Famous Five adventure, Dick recovers a long-lost dictionary and states: "This is my dickie I do declare." How I laughed - he said dickie hee hee.

Thanks, msolga.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:48 pm
msolga wrote:
Yes, the adventures, Vivian! In underground caves, with secret passages! On islands. In the country. (with cut lunches & lemonade!) And not an adult within cooee! Wonderful!Very Happy

exactly! with sinister foreigners and grim Uncle Quentin - my youngest daugher had a tape of some of the books and if she couldn't sleep (we are talking into her teens here!) she'd play them and drift off, knowing the story virtually word for word! Food was always lovingly described wasn't it? all those packed lunches and pop! Oh and Barney from the circus in the Loony/Loopy ones - I liked him
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:00 pm
lmur wrote:
.. And in a Famous Five adventure, Dick recovers a long-lost dictionary and states: "This is my dickie I do declare." How I laughed - he said dickie hee hee.

Dick said that, Irmur? Really? I think Enid must have been feeling a wee bit wicked, the day she wrote that! What a hoot!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 10:05 pm
Vivien wrote:
... with sinister foreigners and grim Uncle Quentin - my youngest daugher had a tape of some of the books and if she couldn't sleep (we are talking into her teens here!) she'd play them and drift off, knowing the story virtually word for word! Food was always lovingly described wasn't it? all those packed lunches and pop! Oh and Barney from the circus in the Loony/Loopy ones - I liked him

& don't forget those suspicious gypsies, Vivien!

An Enid B tape to lull one to sleep? Yes, I can see how that might do the trick! Very Happy
0 Replies